LegacyGT.com

Engine Break-in Oil Change

Hey guys!

What are your thoughts on doing a preemptive oil change after engine break-in on the 2020 Legacy?

I'm gonna hit 1200 miles/2000 KM soon and I'm thinking of doing an oil change preemptively.

I've seen my fuel consumption drop very noticeably during break-in and it seems like a trivial expense, considering the engine oil's most demanding use case is probably engine break-in.

What do you guys think?

I only have 500 miles on my Touring XT but I am also thinking about an early oil change. I have always liked to do an early oil change to remove any metal particles that may have accumulated. I may wait until 2000 miles to do the change but it is good policy.

Manufacturers tell us it is no longer needed. But I know it can't hurt and may even help with engine life on down the road. Besides that I do my own and like to see how easy/hard it is to change oil and filter on a new car. I did my Legacy at about 2000 then again at 6000 and followed the 6000 mile/ 6 month schedule from then on.

Good to know my sentiment regarding an early oil change is echoed by you guys.

Seems like I'll stick to my line of thought and do an early oil change.

The dealership is easily accessible for me, so I may have them do it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

What oil do you guys use on your legacy? I used to use rotella t6 on my 2015 sti, and I wasn't sure if that's good oil for this new motor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I use Mobil 1 but any good brand of the correct weight would be OK.

Edited by tumbleweed 49

change it when recommended? Engines now are much better constructed and are literally broken in at the factory. follow the owner's manual and you will be a ok. on my 2014 I did not reach peak mileage until the car was around 21K miles and it has stayed consistently there ever since...