LegacyGT.com

Removal of Siruis module leads to SRS airbag warning light

A week or so ago I installed a new headunit in my car, a Pioneer AVH W4500NEX (wireless Android auto is awesome). I've done this a couple times before in this car so I didn't expect any difficulty. However, immediately after the installation the SRS airbag warning light came on on my dash. It would either come on right when I start the car and stay on, or it would turn on after 15-20 minutes of driving.

I read the codes and got 21 (airbag ecu failure) and 26 (passenger airbag indicator failure). After a reset they would come back and this went on for a few days while I was freaking out about how much this would cost me.

I realized that the only thing I did different this time around was that I disconnected and removed the factory Sirius radio module that was underneath the headunit. I have the factory HK speaker system that came with Siruis. I took it out because it was just sitting there and I knew I would never use it. Thinking that maybe this caused some electrical gremlins I connected it back up and popped it in the same spot it was before.

The warning light went away and all had been well for a couple days now. I never as much as touched any airbag harness connectors. I have no idea why removing this module caused that issue but I thought I'd post it here in case someone else runs into a similar issue.