LegacyGT.com

Timing Help.....

So i'm going to start off by saying i am a moron and trusted a plastic parts store loaner cam locking tool......

With that being said, when going to replace my timing belt and water pump the cam lock on the drivers side bank broke and the cams rotated. I have no idea which direction they rotated, and can only estimate as where they were based off the marks on the gears.

Does anyone have a way to ensure proper cam timing, without doing serious disassembly?

It happens. TBH I don't even try to hold the left bank cams anymore when I do a timing belt. More risk to break the pulleys than just resetting the cams. As long as the crank is at the mark you ill not hurt anything and they aren't hard to reset. You will need a allen key to turn the AVCS. I think it was 10mm but don't hold me to that.

Watch this. Nam is the man. Start at about 5:30 in the video. At about 8:15 he resets the timing of the left bank cams.

I also attached a .pdf of the 2010 Legacy GT service manual for the timing belt replacement. It'll give you the torque specs and mark locations.

15. Timing Belt.pdf

Edited by poconoracing
added .pdf

The cams align to each other with the double notches. The drivers side cams will only move so much, you should be able to figure out which way to move the came to realign the double notches. They probably move about 30 degrees from when your tool broke. You do not want to spin the cams all the way around as the valves could interfere with the pistons.

Intake cam spins clockwise

Exhaust cam spins counter-clockwise

When doing the timing, put new water pump in and the idler pulley on the left of it on, align the driver side cams to the timing case marks. Set up the crank to the correct spot, attach the new tensioner(do not remove pin).

Now mark up the timing belt to the crank and carefully wrap it around the tensioner and both cams and with keep tension, around the water pump and idler pulley, this’ll help keep that side stay aligned while you finish the other side.

I’ve tried many methods and this seems to help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intake cam spins clockwise

Exhaust cam spins counter-clockwise

When doing the timing, put new water pump in and the idler pulley on the left of it on, align the driver side cams to the timing case marks. Set up the crank to the correct spot, attach the new tensioner(do not remove pin).

Now mark up the timing belt to the crank and carefully wrap it around the tensioner and both cams and with keep tension, around the water pump and idler pulley, this’ll help keep that side stay aligned while you finish the other side.

I’ve tried many methods and this seems to help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, are those the directions the cams need to be rotated, or are those the directions they likely spun and need to be rotated back the opposite directions in order to get everything lined up?