LegacyGT.com

How do I remove a Seized Brake Guide Pin - Turns, but won't come out

mortify

My '05 Legacy started getting hot rotors (does glowing red mean hot?) on the PF after a brake change. The top slide pin moved freely, but the bottom pin didn't move at all. After much heat, PB Blaster, and Kroil, the bottom pin turns freely with my fingers, but will not come out even with a hammer. Is there anything special about removing this pin? I think it has a rubber bushing on it. What else should I do to get this pin out?

Buy a new caliper bracket and save yourself the headache. It's like 50 bucks. I've bothered to remove a stuck pin once - it involved pulling the bracket, clamping it in a bench vice, heating the piss out of it with a MAP torch, and ripping the pin out with a pair of vice grips and a 4 lb sledge. If you can get a slide hammer on the pin it'd probably pop out easier. After all that, I ended up buying a new bracket anyways because the hole for the pin was so corroded.

Though, maybe yours isn't as bad given you can turn it with your fingers. Mine would only turn with vice grips.

Edited by awfulwaffle

Buy a new caliper bracket and save yourself the headache. It's like 50 bucks.

That is probably the sane answer.They about $30 from RockAuto. The pins and seals are extra, but I already ordered them since they'll need to be replaced anyway. I'll keep beating on it through Christmas, but it just isn't moving. It seems as though the rubber seal is binding when I try to pull on it.

It just stinks having the car out of commission for a week.

Ah ha! That did it! Lots and lots of heat (about 10 minutes with a propane torch) and a bigger hammer. It's out and the hole doesn't look bad... the pin, on the other hand... Thank you for the "more power" recommendation. I'll be able to move the car tonight.