LegacyGT.com

dgoodhue's 2011 RRP GT project

I pull the top of the motor apart. One of the bolts was loose on the coolant crossover pipe, I had taken off one of the brackets and forgot to retighten it (grr). I could probably get away with retightening, but I am not going to risk it. This time I removed, upper intake and left the TGV valves bolted to the heads. I don't think it was any easier, but I didn't replace the gaskets between those or the fuel injectors o-rings when I did the motor, so I might as well eliminate any potential issues. I want to this to be the last time I pull the engine apart again.

• 3 weeks later...

It took 2 1/2 weeks for the Subaru parts to come in. I worked on the car this weekend. The intakes gaskets and fuel injector gaskets were all pretty dried out. The metal fuel rail covers are such as a pain to put back on (and get off). I ran the O2 sensor/#2 injector wiring in the wrong orientation, so I had to redo the drivers fuel rail cover. My hands & arms were bruised and scratched, so I ran out of energy putting everything back together. I just need to put the intercooler, coolant, a few hoses and battery back in.

I replaced the cabin air filter, this one hasn't been replaced in a while and doesn't smell good. I remove the weather tech carpet lines.. the original floor mats look like they have never been used except a small spot for the drivers floor where the liner wore through.

IMG_3151.thumb.jpg.b3a5f39235755640753918a644b0b143.jpg

IMG_3150.thumb.jpg.751bb2f090bf9a65d1877a64761a1740.jpg

It took 2 1/2 weeks for the Subaru parts to come in. I worked on the car this weekend. The intakes gaskets and fuel injector gaskets were all pretty dried out. The metal fuel rail covers are such as a pain to put back on (and get off). I ran the O2 sensor/#2 injector wiring in the wrong orientation, so I had to redo the drivers fuel rail cover. My hands & arms were bruised and scratched, so I ran out of energy putting everything back together. I just need to put the intercooler, coolant, a few hoses and battery back in.

I replaced the cabin air filter, this one hasn't been replaced in a while and doesn't smell good. I remove the weather tech carpet lines.. the original floor mats look like they have never been used except a small spot for the drivers floor where the liner wore through.

I usually change the paper cabin air filter every oil change. On my next future car I will be getting the K&N Cabin Air Filter though.

Edited by Alexmed2002

I change them once a year in June when the pollen slows down. Subaru maintenance interval is 1 year or 15K miles. The used cars I bought often haven't been changed in years.This wasn't worst I have seen, but I suspect it was the cause of the interior odor (as the interior smelled exactly like the filter).

I change them once a year in June when the pollen slows down. Subaru maintenance interval is 1 year or 15K miles. The used cars I bought often haven't been changed in years.This wasn't worst I have seen, but I suspect it was the cause of the interior odor (as the interior smelled exactly like the filter).

There's nothing like turning on the A/C with a new filter, it feels amazing.