LegacyGT.com

Suspension fart noise when lifting/lowering car on car jack

Recently I hear a weird hollow thumbing or tapping noise while driving over slight bumps, uneven surfaces, or accelerating. The noise appeared to be coming from the front so I decided to lift the front with an ordinary floor jack to check everything. While I was lifting the car I heard a noise that sounds like a night after Taco Tuesday. :lol:

The noise only occurs when the tires are touching the ground and the suspension is under-load. As soon as the wheels are in the air, the noise disappears. The noise occurs both when lifting and lowering the front of the car. I cannot isolate the sound because when I listen for it on the left side, it appears it is coming from the right and vise versa.

From the outside it sort of sounds like something to do with rubber but when actually driving the car, it is more of a hallow sound. While driving the noise happens quickly per bump and the prolonged farting noise is only heard when lowering and lifting the car.

I am running RCE Black Springs with Koni Inserts. Pretty much everything suspension wise is replaced:

- Koni Inserts with approximately 20k miles (bottom bolt is torqued and checked)

- RCE Black Springs

- New top hat

- New sway-bar (26mm)

- New sway-bar bushings

- New sway-bar links

- New tie rods

- New lower control arm

- New ball-joint

- New front lower control arm bushing

- New rear lower control arm bushing

I always heard clunking and thumping noises in the front and was always disappointed in how the suspension sounds, although it handles flawlessly in my opinion. Browsing the forum I came to a conclusion that it is just the Koni Inserts setup that makes the noises. But recently these clunks have becoming more apparent and loud.

Would anybody have any clues or guesses of what I should do or check next?

Here is a short video of what it sounds like when lowering the car off the jack.

Edited by ssulb

The fart sound is your tires. My tires make a fart sound as they slide horizontally across the concrete of the garage floor while jacking it up and letting it down.

As for the noise while driving, check to make sure the center shock rod bolt in the tophat is tight.

that's what I was thinking - you get a metallic echo-like sound in there... I'd have someone lower the jack then go around the car listening to see where it is - you can also hit the bushings one by one with silicone spray and when you get the right one (if it's one of the bushings) the sound will change/go away

The fart sound is your tires. My tires make a fart sound as they slide horizontally across the concrete of the garage floor while jacking it up and letting it down.

As for the noise while driving, check to make sure the center shock rod bolt in the tophat is tight.

I thought that as well. I decided to lower the car onto pieces of wood to try to see if the noise still occurred and yet it still happens.

are you using factory bushings? anything firmer might require some sort of lube. my whiteline swaybar kit came with some. idk what swaybar youre using. where did you get the koni's from?

I am using CKE 26mm front sway bar bushings so a tad bit firmer than factory. I tried spraying lube on them but the noise is still there and nothing changed. I bought the Koni's new from the Koni website when they did a production run. Not sure if you can still get them or if they still produce them.

Sounds like a bushing is binding.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hmm, I guess you are on the right track. The noise sounds really weird and it sounds like knocking "thudding" while driving.

that's what I was thinking - you get a metallic echo-like sound in there... I'd have someone lower the jack then go around the car listening to see where it is - you can also hit the bushings one by one with silicone spray and when you get the right one (if it's one of the bushings) the sound will change/go away

Thanks for the tip. I already sprayed the swap bar bushings and nothing has changed. I will go around and investigate all the other bushings and rubber bits.

I thought that as well. I decided to lower the car onto pieces of wood to try to see if the noise still occurred and yet it still happens.

I am using CKE 26mm front sway bar bushings so a tad bit firmer than factory. I tried spraying lube on them but the noise is still there and nothing changed. I bought the Koni's new from the Koni website when they did a production run. Not sure if you can still get them or if they still produce them.

Hmm, I guess you are on the right track. The noise sounds really weird and it sounds like knocking "thudding" while driving.

Thanks for the tip. I already sprayed the swap bar bushings and nothing has changed. I will go around and investigate all the other bushings and rubber bits.

Those bushings are supposed to be greased before installation. I would recommend a marine grade grease. It will stick and not wash off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk