LegacyGT.com

Will Ascent problems plague Legacy and Outback?

I like to read Edmunds consumer reviews and have posted reviews of my own cars going back 4 cars.

A lot of people are complaining about Ascent transmission issues, and Consumer Reports doesn’t have glowing things to say about the car’s dependability either.

Edmunds reviews of the Outback are quite good but no one has reviewed the 2020 Legacy yet (someone will beat me too it if I get one next July).

Does the Legacy use the same transmission as the Ascent?

The Subaru 2.4l boxer 4cyl turbocharged engines are said to be mated to an uprated, beefed up CVT variant. The 2.5l normally aspirated boxer 4 using a lighter duty CVT transmission.

Is the Subi 2.4l turbo/CVT combo regardless of car model the "same" uprated CVT unit? .. The 2.4l turbo's HP/TQ output specs are the same across the board.

I'd venture a guess, yes for a common uprated CVT being used.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

A form of this HTCVT has been in use since 2015 in the 3.6R models, and maybe even before that in the A-Spec STIs overseas. And the 2.4 is just a bored and stroked 2.0 that's also been in use since 2014 on the FXT.

There's not a ton of "new" tech with the core components of this car that should scare you away.

When my 2020 arrives with its CVT it'll be my 5th Subaru CVT (not including my wife's current outback that also has one).

Don't let the outliers on the internet scare you.

Personally haven't had an issue with a single one of them.

Edited by gibjer

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

At least the 2019 Ascent gives us a 2nd year engine/transmission combination. Teething issues should be over.

Looking at ConsumerReports they do show issues with the Ascent's reliability by saying it is only average overall. Electronics showing only average, power equipment and body integrity above average (not best). Then owner reports of paint/trim. Nothing about drivetrain issues.

My rule is steer clear of new cars, especially CVT's. The mechanical method behind CVT's still gives me pause.

I'm still eyeing a 2019 Subaru legacy, most of the engine problems should be ironed out by now.

You know the 2019 has a CVT, right?

A form of this HTCVT has been in use since 2015 in the 3.6R models, and maybe even before that in the A-Spec STIs overseas. And the 2.4 is just a bored and stroked 2.0 that's also been in use since 2014 on the FXT.

There's not a ton of "new" tech with the core components of this car that should scare you away.

When my 2020 arrives with its CVT it'll be my 5th Subaru CVT (not including my wife's current outback that also has one).

Don't let the outliers on the internet scare you.

Personally haven't had an issue with a single one of them.

Actually, the High Torque CVT is the one that has the most issues. This has been the case since at least the 2014 Forester XT.

At least the 2019 Ascent gives us a 2nd year engine/transmission combination. Teething issues should be over.

Looking at ConsumerReports they do show issues with the Ascent's reliability by saying it is only average overall. Electronics showing only average, power equipment and body integrity above average (not best). Then owner reports of paint/trim. Nothing about drivetrain issues.

The service departments even know about the CVT issues with the Ascent. Hopefully it’s been figured out by now, but it’s definitely been an issue.

You know the 2019 has a CVT, right?

Of course I do, Subaru's with CVT's already are a big minus for me. Every single CVT WRX owner I know has had some kind of issue which tells me these transmissions aren't designed for power. Tuners now no longer take WRXs with CVT's 'cauise they grenade right after they tune them.

I'm just saying, all new cars are complex systems with hundreds of thousands of parts, which need years and years of real world testing by millions of users before they can be considered reliable.

My go to is usually 2 years after release (which usually means next refresh) is when I get the new car.

Edited by wankey