LegacyGT.com

Legacy in heavy snow areas..

I recently moved to Marquette in the U.P. of Michigan where we got 227 inches of snow last year. I have the opportunity to buy a 2019 Legacy premium with 12k miles for $21,400 (may be able to get it down as low as $20k since they've had it for a while) or a 2018 Forester premium with 20k miles for $24k firm. Is it worth the up to $4k difference to get the added ground clearance of a Forester? I do like having the lower center of gravity, better handling and comfort of the Legacy. This is my first Winter here and I survived driving through my first snow storm up here with my Honda Civic and managed fine. I'm not totally sure how much worse it gets.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'm probably about 300 miles south of you in Madison, WI. As much as I am a fan of sedans over SUVs, there's a big difference between what I see in a year vs what you'll see (~50 inches vs ~200). I'd probably go for the Forester if I were you, but if you do go with the Legacy, you'll still be better off than basically any other sedan on the road. Some of it depends on how quickly they plow the roads you drive.

Where I live, sometimes I need to use my car to push some snow for a couple of short roads going out of my neighborhood, but after I make it a half mile, I'm to a road that gets enough traffic to where ground clearance becomes moot.

The question to ask yourself is how often will you be driving in fresh snow of a foot or more. If the answer is rarely, you'll do fine. Once you've had some traffic make a path (even if it's not plowed) and compact/push the snow aside, you'll just be driving on top of it. The problem usually is when you need to make the path...

Throw some winter tires on that thing and it will plow through 2-3 feet of snow without breaking much of a sweat. Vermont gets about 100 inches of snow yearly. Guess what the number one Subaru model sold there is? Yeah its the Legacy. In a State that loves Subarus the Legacy sedan is tops :)

But if you are averse to the occasional snow plowing then get the Forester. You'll still need winter tires, Lake effect snow is constant over there :)

Legacy eat snow....I have 2 of them and I have never gotten stuck even with close to 2 ft on the ground

This has been my experience as well. I drove two Imprezas ('12 and '15) and the only time I was stuck is when there was so much snow that car just couldn't push it anymore. I wonder if 2.5L engine might be a bit better. This year I only commute 2 miles in city so I am not getting winter tires. We will see how Legacy will perform on stock tires

We have a 2015 Legacy and a 2017 Forester. They both drive well in the snow. The Forester handles better when it is deep and is a bit more powerful (standard 2L in both). The real advantage is that when things are sloppy, the Forester is high enough to avoid some of the mess that is splashed at me. I haven't had any real problems with either. The Forester comes with better tires. I've been driving without snow tires and I have been able to keep going in a lot of snow. It would be better with them for the occasion when they are needed. I haven't had to use X-Drive either.

A Legacy on factory tires in the UP is a death wish. Please don't try it. You'll get stuck in your own driveway.

Also, I strongly suggest you get a new battery with a higher CCA (Cold Cranking Amp rating), or you'll be left stranded.

You may also want to consider a decent remote starter. Skip the fob nonsense and get a Drone cellular remote start system. It will even tell you the temperature inside the car!

Edited by jMeG

A Legacy on factory tires in the UP is a death wish. Please don't try it. You'll get stuck in your own driveway.

Also, I strongly suggest you get a new battery with a higher CCA (Cold Cranking Amp rating), or you'll be left stranded.

You may also want to consider a decent remote starter. Skip the fob nonsense and get a Drone cellular remote start system. It will even tell you the temperature inside the car!

my 14 came on EL200 and never got stuck, turn off traction control and the car will take care of it's self I have heard a lot of people do not like the good years that came on some cars.

I live at the top of a very long climb and the Subaru's have yet to let me down....the 2003 and 2014