LegacyGT.com

What are people doing to get around the overboost issue

So I am looking to run less resistance in my exhaust but am worried about overboost. When may I run into this issue and how can I fix it. All i have done right now is a custom axleback with no mufflers. Still cat and resonator. Might change resonator to cherrybomb glasspack and get the invidia j pipe if I can find one.

Invidia catted J pipe should not overboost.

I had zero issues with my J pipe and stock exhaust, but later I had to port my wastegate on my turbo. If you don't want to do port it yourself, you could have a shop do it, but I would expect it to be pricey since it involves removing the turbo. It would also require a custom tune, either e-tune or dyno tune.

So the best, most cost effective option is likely to install the Invidia catted j pipe and get a tune.

I installed an Invidia catted downpipe and turbosmart recirc valve at the same time, and that made my stage 1 tune overboost. Not sure which did it, but I'd be ready to get some tune adjustments made at a minimum.

They both probably did. Adding the turbosmart BPV, increased my peak boost by 1 psi. Adding a Invidia catback (not the downpipe) increased my peak boost by 0.5psi.

Some of the higher than expect boost levels can be tuned for.

So overboost is caused when there isn’t enough flow through the waste gate. I experienced that on my car with muffler deletes and a invidia catted j pipe when temps dropped below 40 degrees. Honestly if I could have a do over I probably wouldn’t use the invidia pipe cause it’s just a round pipe inlet which hurts flow through the waste gate. If you compare it to hks or avo designed hi flow cats you can see what I’m talking about.