LegacyGT.com

Deep rumble / vibration at hwy speeds, normal?

I've been noticing a deep rumble highway speeds, it's subtle, and quiet, and I can just barely feel it through my seat. It's not a flat monotone rumble, it kind of fluctuates(loud, quiet, loud, quiet, etc) It doesn't change with speed or rpm. I notice it most when driving in 5th gear (around 2k- 2500rpm) but I can feel it slightly even with the clutch pressed in and coasting at around 100km/h. I figured this might just be the way subaru awd sounds under these circumstances. If not, does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?

02 legacy 5spd 235k kms.

Slight imbalance in the drive shaft? Resonant frequency in some part of the body or structure? Tire noise?

It's pretty much impossible to figure out without hearing it. But I haven't heard anyone else express a concern that sounds similar. I think third gen are generally a little quieter than second gen so I couldn't say from direct experience.

My exhaust is too loud to pick up lots of subtle noises, but it has a definite resonance with the volume of air in the cabin. There is a range where it is quite unpleasant. At other power/speeds where the engine is making a lot more noise, the sound comfort is much better because no resonance.

Slight imbalance in the drive shaft? Resonant frequency in some part of the body or structure? Tire noise?

It's pretty much impossible to figure out without hearing it. But I haven't heard anyone else express a concern that sounds similar. I think third gen are generally a little quieter than second gen so I couldn't say from direct experience.

My exhaust is too loud to pick up lots of subtle noises, but it has a definite resonance with the volume of air in the cabin. There is a range where it is quite unpleasant. At other power/speeds where the engine is making a lot more noise, the sound comfort is much better because no resonance.

I'll look into the drive shaft.. Hope it's not that haha, just put new tires on