LegacyGT.com

WTF are these???

So I'm bringing everything off of my 08 spec b manifold area over to the engine I'm putting together, doing tgv deletes and new inlet/throttle body exc... the usual

I was looking in the engine bay for the 08 and realized there is something else that isn't on my other engine (from an 06, so B25 instead of D25 heads) but these are throwing me off, and do I need to bring them over?

The question is what the hell are these and do I need them?? I've been digging though the 08 repair manual and can't find them so far within the 6000 odd pages.

1895441252_thingy1.thumb.jpg.a47098f11ebc60240553c12ab7da207f.jpg

583269422_thingy2.thumb.jpg.8bef1c5f3be58d3d7c35d34fc82e03c2.jpg

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

That's the solenoids for the secondary air pump. It's why the newer ones have a catless up pipe.

If using the newer ecu and heads, you either need those or you need block off plates and the corresponding cel deleted. If using the older heads and ecu then nah.

It's under the emissions system and includes a bunch of piping some plates and an electric air pump to the driver side of the a/c compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks! I thought they were from that, but didn't want to assume.

Glad I don't need them!

Edit: I finally found them in the service manual just now too.

Called: Secondary air combination valve

Yea I chuckled when I saw them. I wound up buying the wrong oil dipstick tube and it was in the way of the secondary air pump. Was thinking about deleting the whole thing but I'll wait until I at least pass emissions once.

I'm all for clean air, but I'm also for not having small solenoids that apparently like to fail.

Yep and then limp mode when they do. But better than pieces of the catted up shredding the turbo and destroying your block.

I have block off plates in the mail. I wonder if there's and easy / inexpensive way to measure the emissions difference.

Yeah, quite true. They actually got rid of emissions testing where I live now, so I'm happy about that. They still do large commercial vehicles though, which is good considering how many large trucks are around.

I run a catted exhaust so I'm not all bad.

I actually used to do the emissions testing on vehicles, we could see all the values with the snorkel up the tail pipe. It was only $30 to get it done too

If you’re removing them you’ll need to do surgery on the passenger side unit. It contains the atmospheric pressure sensor.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

If you’re removing them you’ll need to do surgery on the passenger side unit. It contains the atmospheric pressure sensor.

Yea that's the plan if I do. Msprank has a good write up. But it sounds like maasia is moving the block to a different vehicle with older heads and older ecu so they shouldn't need to worry about that.