LegacyGT.com

2006 legacy is much safer than an 05

2ezee

Subaru just made the top 5 safest cars to drive. So your saying that everyone turn in there '05 Legacies and get a '06. Why, just because of saftey? Thats little grounds to tell us that '05s are not safe. no ones safe when a drunk driver creams into your car at 50+ mph.

Is there a point to this thread? This has already been discussed ad naseum. I fail to see the logic in an argument that is premised on the notion that a new year with a few redesigns for safety somehow relegates the previous year to a death wish. If you really want to be safe, don't drive. Driving is inherently dangerous no matter what you drive, it's just we don't think about it because it's a necessity for almost everyone. The problem really isn't that cars aren't safe enough, it's the drivers. We seem to be content in this country to give anyone drivers licenses regardless of whether they can actually drive or not. As a pilot, it amazes me that aviation is obesessed with safety, while the majority of the driving public could care less about even using a turn signal. I guess it's no wonder that it is thousands of times safer to fly than to drive.

Amen brother!

What are they going to say about the thousands and thousands of cars on the road that only have front air bags (and no side-airbags)...or the many more 100's of thousands that have NO airbags, what-so-ever...don't drive that car, you deathwish-having-careless-thrilljunkie bastard!

Geeze!

05's are built like a tank. 06's are a little better, big deal. I will buy an 06 because I am not buying until spring, but would not think twice about an 05. Very safe cars.

If you are that worried about it, do what I do, STAY OFF THE PHONE AND DON'T HIT ANYTHING.

If your that damn concerned about safety, buy a Hummer H1 you will just drive over anything in your path. :icon_bigg

Honestly, I feel much safer in my '05 Legacy than I did in my '02 Altima. The Legacy feels much more solid. The Altima has paper thin sheet metal.

My hell.... How have we lived so long while driving around in cars that are built less like tanks than the '06 Legacy?? I've only been driving for 15 years in cars that are likely not as safe in an accident as the '06, but who cares? I've never been t-boned in an intersection and haven't needed to worry about it. The truth is that if you are t-boned in an accident where the difference between life and death is the difference between the 05 safety and the 06, then you are going to be pretty fucked up either way.

Anyway, I'm not going to let some 14 year old who still gets a hard on when he sees The Fast and the Furious try and give be buyers remorse over a car that is safer than most of the cars on the road already. I'm just going to keep driving safe and looking both ways before I cross the intersection. I'll let 2ezee still has to hold his mommy's hand when he crosses, so he will probably be even safer than me.

edit: Buy an 06 if you want, but you won't get Regal Blue with black interior. I'll only need my airbags once, but I get to enjoy the color combination of my car every single day. :D

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

It's all chance/luck whatever you call it...if it was meant to be, then it was meant to be (did you see that silver WRX that was entirely crushed under a semi and the driver walked out with a few scratches, on the same token, how about people that end up dying in multi-car pile-ups)....

Car's will always be improved, but chance and luck plays a huge part...IMO :D

In Taiwan now...:spin:

that CXT truck reminds me of the Canyonero (from The Simpons) that Krusty was endorsing. Now I got that catchy theme song in my head, let me find the lyrics:

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive, smells like a steak and seats thirty-five...

Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down, It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero!

The Federal Highway comission has ruled the Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.

Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports, Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams, She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)

Drive Canyonero!

Woah Canyonero!

Woah!

The heck with the 06 being "safer" than the 05 discussion; the Canyonero is what we need to be truly 'safe' :D j/k

canyonero.jpg.df672dd28d25b6055fe056a381ad03e2.jpg

If you look carefully at the pictures and data, the only noteworthy change is the shape and size of the thorax airbag in the seat. It is now taller and has an extra "pelvis" extension that reduces injury. The B-Pillar crush numbers are nearly identical to the 2nd 05 test, and the door intrusion doesn't look significantly worse.

Keep in mind that this is with a 5th percentile female dummy. Hardly representative of the majority of the populous. If you look at the ANCAP test of the 04/05 models, the results are far better (the best they had ever seen at the time) because they use a 50th percentile male dummy.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/safety-recalls/new-crashtest-results-for-midsized-cars-1105.htm

excerpt

Redesigned last year, the 2005 Legacy earned a Good rating from IIHS for its front-impact performance, but the midsized car fitted with front/rear head-protection curtain air bags and front seat-mounted torso air bags only earned a Marginal rating in the side-impact test.

For 2006, Subaru changed the Legacy side structure, front seats, and front seat-mounted torso air bags. In the latest testing, these efforts enabled the Legacy to score a Double Best Pick. NHTSA has not tested the current-generation Subaru Legacy.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived