LegacyGT.com

rattling exhaust resinator

mattg

i had the resinator replaced w/ a straight pipe, and yes the rattle is gone. but now it sounds pretty raspy, backfires and shit. :D

the exhaust tech suggested i put an aftermarket resinator in, but i said lets try the straight pipe. now i'm wondering if he was right. i need to keep my car fairly professional sounding.

it's especially nasty sounding before it totally warms up.

I told you the noise I was talking about wouldn't go away with a straight pipe

have difficulty admitting you're wrong much, wiener? :munch:

this thread is about a noise that was inside the resinator, which is totally gone since the res. has been removed. it had nothing to do w/ the raspy, popping resination that i have now.

so yes, i do know which noise you're talking about.

i had the resinator replaced w/ a straight pipe, and yes the rattle is gone. but now it sounds pretty raspy, backfires and shit. :D

the exhaust tech suggested i put an aftermarket resinator in, but i said lets try the straight pipe. now i'm wondering if he was right. i need to keep my car fairly professional sounding.

it's especially nasty sounding before it totally warms up.

Mine sounds the same, but apparantly, I've been told it doesn't sound so bad from outside the car. Try listening from behind while someone else revs the car, see what you think ?

• 2 months later...

update - my car is back at the exhaust shop getting an aftermarket resinator installed where the straight pipe was.

i definately wouldn't recommend running an exhaust without a resinator. even w/ the stock mufflers and Y, it sounds pretty darn crappy. i'm catless btw.

• 5 months later...

So I have cofirmed that I indeed have a rattle coming from the resonator... mattg, did you cut open your resonator to see actually what went? I do have stock OEM third cat.

I felt the third cat on a cold start and tapped it gently, doesn't appear to be anything loose.

Whacked the resonator with the car on and rattling (only rattles right dropping through 2K or so, or first gear) didn't seem to change the noise.

So, anybody have a stock resonator sitting around? What's out there in the aftermarket realm?

-B

Hey I hate to butt in being I'm n/a but my "i" had the same symptoms as your original issue. Being exhaust amazingly it was easy for me to get the dealer to warranty the resinator. 1month later Subaru installed resinator same f'in noise. Advisor now says I'm "hitting speed bumps." dealer the next county over said "get an aftermarket resinator subaru can't figure it out and there aren't enough enthusiasts complaining eventhough its a common problem." Good Luck. Let me know how it sounds, cause anything is better than this crap.

Advisor didn't know, he said no one has come back post aftermarket replacement. But this could just be his waay of gettin me out of his hair.Guess we have to wait and see what happens. Mattg how has your aqftermarket held up?

Archived