LegacyGT.com

Anyone applied new Starlink/Navigation Files?

Received an email about new software available for 2017/2018. In the past thought we were blocked from applyig it ourselves. Curious to know if anyone has done the update and how it went?

A new Software Update is available for your Subaru.

A SUBARU STARLINK™ software and navigation update is available for your vehicle. Take advantage of the latest maps and software fixes available to improve your driving experience. Roads change daily and points of interest are added regularly. Ensure you not only have the best routing available, but also save time.

This update specifically addresses the following:

General stability and reliability improvements

AM/FM station presets becoming lost and replaced by “Hold”

Static or “noise” when listening to AM radio stations

Loss of downloaded Phone Contact list information

Music “skipping” concerns when using CarPlay

US State Route name pronunciations

Speed Limit Signage Accuracy*

Music not playing automatically when connecting a USB device

“Invalid Destination Code” message

“Scan” text display updated to “Tune Scan” when SXM starts to tune channels

Please follow the link below for instructions and helpful tips.

https://subaruofamerica-mkt-prod1-t.campaign.adobe.com/r/?id=h11a965d1,14c460a5,14c460aa

Edited by ammcinnis
Edit to rationalize external link URL.

According to the information I received from Subaru yesterday the update is the same one I installed about 3 months ago, A1.19.17.20. It has map updates but you need to download it from the web site copy it onto a memory stick and use that to install it into the car through a USB port. Or take it in and have the dealer do it for you. I did not have most of the problems in the list and do not use some of the things listed, but I did notice some of the speed limits have been updated.

Even after the update the Tomtom Nav system will still get you lost so carry a good paper map, it will also still try to get you to turn onto roads that don't exist but that is just the nature of the beast and I doubt it will be fixed. It is not anywhere near as good as Garmin. I like Android Auto with Ways but I can't get it to work when I am out of range for my cell phone and there may not be a fix for that either.

Edited by tumbleweed 49

• 6 months later...
I have a 2017 legacy limited. the instructions posted do not work for me as I do not have wifi and setting/general does not have 'System Information'. I have "software information', but that does not have a dated version, only a model number. is there an update for my car? I have asked the dealer and the answer is no, but I believe them as much as the Chinese.

Received an email about new software available for 2017/2018.

MY 2015-2017 head units are a totally different design than MY 2018-2019; they're even from different manufacturers.

I have a 2017 legacy limited. the instructions posted do not work for me ...

The latest update of TSB 15-205-16R, dated 2/27/2020, indicates that the most recent firmware revision for MY 2017 Fujitsu Ten head units without NAV is OU9509 ... firmware revision for 2017 head units with NAV is NU9510.

See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171934-0001.pdf for a copy of the TSB, from the NHTSA web site. The TSB includes instructions on how to check the currently-installed firmware version.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

MY 2015-2017 have totally different head unit designs, from different manufacturers, than MY 2018-2019.

The latest update of TSB 15-205-16R, dated 2/27/2020, indicates that the most recent firmware revision for MY 2017 Fujitsu Ten head units without NAV is OU9509 ... firmware revision for 2017 head units with NAV is NU9510.

See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171934-0001.pdf for a copy of the TSB, from the NHTSA web site. The TSB includes instructions on how to check the currently-installed firmware version.

my version for a NAV system is NU9606. how can I have a later version than the latest available??

also the link asks for a login. is there another way to get the files?

my version for a NAV system is NU9606.

Are you sure? The TSB indicates that firmware version was only correct for a 2017 WRX. It may be a rare publication error, or somebody may have actually installed it in your Legacy. Is yours the original radio? A final possibility is that Canadian vehicles may have been loaded with different firmware at the factory for some reason.

N.B. Firmware version numbers are not always sequential, and when they are it's usually only within a given model/year line.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Does this update only apply to Head Units with Navigation?

No. It applies to all Fujitsu Ten head units MY 2015-2017.

The PDF suggest that is the case.
No, it doesn't. There are separate firmware update versions for NAV and non-NAV (i.e. "Display Audio") head units.

Confusion like this is one reason why Subaru really doesn't want owners updating firmware on their own.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

No. It applies to all Fujitsu Ten head units MY 2015-2017.

No, it doesn't. There are separate firmware update versions for NAV and non-NAV (i.e. "Display Audio") head units.

Confusion like this is one reason why Subaru really doesn't want owners updating firmware on their own.

Sorry, not the TSB. I was talking about what the OP posted. The PDF they linked states:

Applies To: 2017/2018 Impreza, 2018 Outback, Legacy, BRZ and Crosstrek (with Navigation)

Judging from the firmware revision listed in the document linked in the first post in this thread not being anything close to what is currently on my head unit, I am guessing this does not apply to mine, which does not have built-in Nav. However, it does give me a glimmer of hope that maybe one day they will fix at least a few of the bugs I see on a regular basis.

Are you sure? The TSB indicates that firmware version was only correct for a 2017 WRX. It may be a rare publication error, or somebody may have actually installed it in your Legacy. Is yours the original radio? A final possibility is that Canadian vehicles may have been loaded with different firmware at the factory for some reason.

N.B. Firmware version numbers are not always sequential, and when they are it's usually only within a given model/year line.

The TSB says that higher numbers follow and that's how you know if you have an old version. I tried to follow the map update instructions in the FOTA and the subaru site refuses to take my VIN. I wrote to subaru and they are less responsive than a dead squirrel. lots of fun.

I tried to follow the map update instructions in the FOTA ...

In the FOTA???

... the subaru site refuses to take my VIN.
The Subaru.com web site is Subaru of America (USA). It can't provide any information for Canadian-spec vehicles with Canadian VINs. Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

^^ For Legacy and Outback, that applies to MY 2018 only. You profile indicates that you have a 2017 Legacy. As stated previously, MY 2018-2019 Legacy/Outback head units are totally different designs ... even from different manufacturers ... than MY 2015-2017. MY 2015-2017 head units do not have WiFi connectivity.

spacer.png

• 2 months later...

The F10 (navigation) head unit in my 2017 Legacy 3.6R has had a disagreement with my smartphone and SMS integration no longer works. Yes, I've tried every troubleshooting step. I have extensive experience with embedded systems and know that updated firmware is often the fix. The dealership would like to charge me a diagnostic fee plus one hour labor plus some absurd fee for the two tiny USB flash drives, with no guarantee it would fix the problem.

Followed the instructions on another forum, paid $35 for access to Subaru TIS, but my credentials do not work with the embedded download link. I am looking for the latest files referenced in the latest 15-205-16R update: C_NU9510_USB_1st.exe and C_NU9510_USB_2nd.exe

I don't have the time or patience to argue with the dealership, SOA, or a combination of the two. Honestly, it's kind of shameful on their part. I would greatly appreciate the help!

I read and followed the Subaru Technical Information System (STIS) directions on the Forester forum, but was unable to access any of the firmware files - my credentials were not active on the second website. The original poster probably did not realize that you *must* use Internet Explorer to access STIS in order for it to work. I fired up a Windows 10 VM and, thankfully, using Internet Explorer did the trick.

Hat-tip to 2015OB36NNJ over at the Outback forum for this post: https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/nu-9021-navi-update-files.519079/#post-5968973

I was about cross-post to request the files when I found it. Even though it has cost me $70 to get the files, that is still cheaper than the nearly $500 the dealership would have charged to update my Legacy and my wife's Outback. Here's hoping it resolves the SMS issue!