LegacyGT.com

SFW Only: Post your appropriate pics- V7

Flinkly

^^^ I can confidently say that would not be allowed in a U.S. steel mill today. A couple of decades ago I had a consulting contract with a specialty steel producer. Even with all the safety precautions, operations like their "rod mill" could be exciting. 19-inch square by 20-foot long glowing steel blooms entered one end of the mill at a speed of less than two feet per minute, passed through a long series of drawing dies, exited the last of the drawing stands as continuous thin rod (rebar, bolt stock, etc.), and continued into a giant coiler at what I once calculated to be about 350 miles per hour! Occasionally the leading end of a new run would miss the center of one of the drawing dies and hang, with spectacular results: a fountain of glowing metal that from a safe distance looked like spaghetti (or toothpaste) from Hell. Mind you, this was in a really safety-conscious plant. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

1656448557_fn_07.jpg

And the other way around is also bad. Back in 2009 or earlier there was a dude pouring NOS energy drink into his motorcycle. It was a hilarious thread but it's now hidden for non-members of that forum if it still exists.

Edited by ehsnils
  • Like 1
453747.png