LegacyGT.com

2016 Legacy Premier Reliability

Just an early update, my 2106 is running just perfect. The last few days we have has snow and temps in the 20-30 degree zone.My mpg's have dropped from from a 32 average to just below the 28 mpg. The mpg drop was quick...but the daily temp drop was just as quick here in western PA.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an early update, my 2106 is running just perfect. The last few days we have has snow and temps in the 20-30 degree zone.My mpg's have dropped from from a 32 average to just below the 28 mpg. The mpg drop was quick...but the daily temp drop was just as quick here in western PA.

Probably has something to do with winter blend gas as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasonal mpg roller coaster for my car:

picture.php?albumid=2201&pictureid=12565

Really neat graph you made there. Is that the MPG readout from the car or calculated by miles driven/gallons added to the tank?

I'd say my 3.6R averages about 20MPG in winter and about 24MPG in summer according to the car so probably 1-2MPG worse than that.

Really neat graph you made there. Is that the MPG readout from the car or calculated by miles driven/gallons added to the tank?

These are calculated from the odometer reading and the volume of fuel into the tank.

My lifetime average is 31 US mpg (calculated), which will edge down slightly after driving another winter. I rarely push the car hard.

These are calculated from ... the volume of fuel into the tank.

No. Estimated MPG is calculated from accumulated fuel-injector "ON" time. Only the "Distance to Empty" function uses fuel tank volume info, as reported by the fuel level sensors.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Probably has something to do with winter blend gas as well

You know this was my first thoughts as well and their is definitely a difference in MPG on the two different blends of fuel. With that being said, the CVT in these cars does not like cold weather, it could be the middle of winter but if we get a random week where say the weather is above 50 degrees, my mpg jumps right back up to summer levels even though you know the gas is still the winter blend.

There are a bunch of reasons for higher fuel consumption in cold weather:

-Denser air to push

-Colder engine to warm up

-Tire resistance

-Slippage on icy surfaces

-Plowing snow

-Oil thicker (0w20 not much!)

-Grease slower to thin (try riding a bike in -20)

-Fuel blends (eg. more ethanol = less BTU )

There are a bunch of reasons for higher fuel consumption in cold weather:

-Denser air to push

-Colder engine to warm up

-Tire resistance

-Slippage on icy surfaces

-Plowing snow

-Oil thicker (0w20 not much!)

-Grease slower to thin (try riding a bike in -20)

-Fuel blends (eg. more ethanol = less BTU )

As I agree with most of what you said, this Legacy has had the biggest difference in mileage of cold vs warm more so than any other vehicle I've owned, and I've owned quite a few vehicles. I think a lot has to do with the transmission fluid and cvt itself.