LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy GT Car stalled, will not start - P0700 P0725 warning for others/ ? on fix

Guys, I was driving to another work location and all of a sudden I lost all power and my cruise light is blinking and my check Engine light is illuminated. Please see the pictures below the car has 12,000 original miles it is a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. I bought this to replace the one I currently have which has 115,000 with zero problems. The oil change was up-to-date and full. What would cause this.. looks to be crankshaft gear to snap off like this? Looks like it was obviously not screwed in or the weld broke. So I had the vehicle towed home on a flatbed. When I got home I ran the codes thinking it might be a sensor or something since that’s what I’ve seen in the past on the forms.. so the codes I got were P0700 P0725. So if you get these codes check the timing belt before restarting the vehicle As you see severe damage can occur. As memory serves me this is an interference engine? What is the chance that the engine is not damaged from your professional opinion’s? I drained some oil to see if there were any metal flakes oil is clean. From the picture do you think all this to be re-bolted back on with replacement parts? Quite disappointed in the build quality as I have never seen this in the previous Subaru’s I have owned. As we know I am well out of warranty.. I know we have a lot more knowledgeable technicians on here than I would like to know your thoughts how to fix. I have a local shop I use just want to know what I’m in for.. I apologize for the poor grammar long day at work.. I am in the fort lauderdale Fl area PM if you can help. Thanks

IMG_8447.JPG.4ec6da0627dc3113022209a730741d79.JPG

IMG_8462.JPG.3f418794c26b7eeb09339d20b30a6740.JPG

IMG_8449.JPG.6b6fd8635450fe5ef68e4c3ec4a333b8.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG.b23f36754ffddb437ca1b33bd90a13d0.JPG

IMG_8444.JPG.b620860499204e748db6f5e2ef4a3ee0.JPG

Did the bolt break or was it just missing??? If the bolt broke you have to get that out of the cam which might be a pita without a welder. Replace the bolt, redo the timing belt, and then do a compression or leak down test, or both. If you get good numbers your fine, if not you probably bent some valves and need to rebuild your head or heads depending on damage.

To me it looks like the camshaft sprocket separated from the center for some strange reason.

It would probably be necessary to take off the head, but before that remove the timing belt and make sure that all cams are in a position where the valves won't cause interference with the pistons, then run a compression test. If all cylinders shows compression and are equal then you may be lucky.

If not lucky, then out with the engine, off with the heads and check that the pistons are OK.

The P0700 P0725 codes are from the transmission and it may have had a brain fart when the engine just barfed, so better fix the obvious first, reset all codes and see if you get fresh codes when the engine runs again.

Edited by ehsnils
453747.png

damn. aren't the exhaust sprockets a solid single piece of metal? How the hell did that happen? Something must be wrong with the head or valves to kick back that much force to sheer the sprocket like that. I wouldn't put that cylinder head back on until I figured out why it caused that!

Engine update,

So I ordered a high megapixel borescope arriving on Monday. I did find a borescope camera in my garage... I doubt it’s even take two megapixels. I took out the spark plug on the passenger side closest to the crankshaft. This is what we can see with the potato camera. What do you guys think please tell me some good news... (: When I get the high resolution camera I can check the other spark plugs but it may be sometime since I’m busy at work. i’m thankful I have a second car was just about to sell it just wanted to make sure the replacement was reliable... ): I have to look at the Engine diagrams but from the crankshaft pictures and the engine it looks like this separated or is this two parts? Basically I took this off with my hand there was no tension at all on the belt on this crankshaft And did not have to unscrew anything. Leaving me to believe that this separated.. manufacture defect? Are there any Service bulletins or recalls regarding this? let this be a warning for our brother & sisters if you get the code P0700 P0725 check the belt do not start car!!!

IMG_8501.JPG.b9ad9aea8ed7baa8076cc42a2de881ec.JPG

IMG_8512.JPG.a6273b99678c00c9d48796f170ac85bb.JPG

1.jpg.0ded44b8c4dc2a822c381da63c1c8828.jpg

2.jpg.449a49f020350b5fa16b4d257b8072ba.jpg

3.jpg.7eff8573f3f3b243878a0f6848f0f665.jpg

4.jpg.a2cd67d849af6ba5a7fbf8a55d1d49f2.jpg

5.jpg.e5cfec3d9ea3c19ecbe59b390e0bb9fa.jpg

Found this online look like the marks on mine..?

Engine update,

So I ordered a high megapixel borescope arriving on Monday. I did find a borescope camera in my garage... I doubt it’s even take two megapixels. I took out the spark plug on the passenger side closest to the crankshaft. This is what we can see with the potato camera. What do you guys think please tell me some good news... (: When I get the high resolution camera I can check the other spark plugs but it may be sometime since I’m busy at work. i’m thankful I have a second car was just about to sell it just wanted to make sure the replacement was reliable... ): I have to look at the Engine diagrams but from the crankshaft pictures and the engine it looks like this separated or is this two parts? Basically I took this off with my hand there was no tension at all on the belt on this crankshaft And did not have to unscrew anything. Leaving me to believe that this separated.. manufacture defect? Are there any Service bulletins or recalls regarding this? let this be a warning for our brother & sisters if you get the code P0700 P0725 check the belt do not start car!!!

EJ255.thumb.png.e3891f83103f62195277fca75b5fc3e2.png

2.jpg.d4cabc374bcff5ed5dba70f5d1ce32bd.jpg

Thanks Infosecdad.

I will look tomorrow at the toothed idler pulley in center with cam. I post it in this section so the community knows to not start car with cruse flashing and code P0700 P0725 Hope we can save some people with this aggravation. Check the TB area first before start...

Oh, you have duplicate threads...

As I mentioned on the other thread, my money is on the toothed idler pulley seizing which would destroy a cam. It happened to my '99 Outback with DOHC. Need to look behind center cover.

Found this online look like the marks on mine..?

What you see is just the cuts in the pistons for valve clearance, but look in all cylinders to make sure - also the cylinders on the other side.

Notice that the plastic sprocket separating from the metal center isn't a totally unique event that doesn't have to be caused by anything else but just a construction fault of the sprocket itself.

If the cam turns without problem (just make sure no piston is at TDC on that side) then I'd suspect a failed sprocket due to a manufacturing defect. But my opinion is that mixing materials that way is actually a design shortcoming, and that's a design defect I have seen on the Volvo B18 engine too - composite sprocket with an aluminum center that can separate. (Only major design flaw I know on that engine that can actually stop it from working)

453747.png