LegacyGT.com

Which gen 3?

Hi guys,

this is the same post I posted on subaruoutback.org as I got the impression that many prefer one or the other forums.

-----

I'm looking to get a get 3 as a daughter/family car and after a lot of reading it is between XT and 3.0 engines. I'm more toward turbo as I own a turbo manual wagon.

It has to be an auto as it is going to be family car.

It will mostly be stock initially (except for ease of maintenance stuff like turbo oil filter, catch can, etc.). After bringing it to stage zero it may get a very reliable tune if family want it but nothing crazy and no other mods. I do not have plans to get past that as I have the current turbo car that has a heavy built engine and stuff so no more complicated projects.

My concern is that even with XT engine the car is under powered (for comparison my wagon came with 300hp from factory). The good news is that with a stage 1 tune I can get to happy place. But the reviews are telling me that there is a head gasket replacement lurking if not already done. The 3.0 in theory sounds better (more displacement should be better) and it is reviewed as more reliable, and smoother running. But I did not see he same ease of tuning it and it has even lower power than XT. A long tine ago I test drove a 2004 Outback LL Bean that had the 3.0H engine - I was not impressed (not sure if it is the same engine though).

So first question: XT or 3.0 and why? Are my points above valid?

With every car there is the question of which year is a good year to buy? Looks like the 09 is coming with the most goodies from the factory. I said 2009 but you may know better which one is suitable given my intentions or maybe an earlier year will give me better price and selection w/o losing much.

Given the above answered what should I look for when I go shopping?

What are the walk-away points?

What are the big ticket maintenance items?

Any other things that you may think helpful for shopping or just to be aware as a potential new owner.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. not very important but curious: is there an economical bigger brake upgrade for this car?

For the daughter/family, get the 3.0R. The 2009 OB 3.0R are pretty rare. I have been looking for one and barely seen any and I am used to looking for rare vehicles. 2008 3.0 are much more common.

The big ticket item on the XT is a blown turbo taking out the motor. Personally if I wanted a reliable OBXT, I would look for a 2009 XT with a blown motor and rebuild that.