LegacyGT.com

New subi owner

Hey everyone

Just purchased an 05 LGT with 96,000 miles on it, as a daily and I need some suggestions for cooling.

FYI: Car was previously modified : Has Invidia Downpipe, BC coilovers, exhaust, Fmic . I feel like I need to go through this thing and get the timing done , oil pump and HG, thermostat ( since I don't know how bad this was beat on)

I did drive it from Houston to Chattanooga within the last few days with no issues, however, when I got home and car was idling for 15 min, temp started to rise (and turned car off) within 15 min, I drove it around and temp went back to normal--

The question is: since there is a FMIC is installed , which covers up the factory radiator with factory fans, will the WRX aluminum radiators work?

NEW Catless up pipe NOW!!!!

Check Turbo NOW!!!

Full timing kit and belts

Full fresh fluids

New OEM T-Stat

Re-tune for sure

New oil/Filter

air filter/Cabin filter

Spark Plugs

New battery

Check over everything on the car front to back

I have a 2006 LGT and it has a major engine issue but does not over heat. Set some money aside for repairs. Car is old but will last if taken care of. I would not worry about HGs unless it has a bad leak. I am sure there is more. that's what I do when I get a car.

To me it kind if sounds like you might have a large air pocket in your cooling system. When you go to change your fluids just bleed the coolant really well. If its gonna be a minute before you do the fluid change I'd bleed her right away. Overheating from a simple air pocket could cause larger issues

But also yes, pretty much everything NORU said, large importance on the uppipe and turbo

Umm I'm not too sure? These cars are like legos so generally a lot of things swap over. On top of the considering the radiator just slips into 2 little grommets on the bottom and then has some bolt in brackets on the top I dont see why not. My only hesitation would be the fans and how they're mounted and such

I've got the mishimoto aluminum rad. And I do believe that it fits the 08 wrx also. Honestly the original/factory replacement radiator does a good job at keeping Temps down. Cheapest option usually also. The only reason I have the mishimoto is that I found a great price on one through eBay.

Don't use after market Timing Belts, Pulleys, Idlers anywhere in the timing stuff,. ONLY Subaru, the rest are mixed with China cheap stuff.

Also, with the amount of mile on it, get a new radiator. Plastic & Aluminum wear out over time, replace them both with Subaru, also only Subaru Thermostat.

No,

If you look in there Timing Belt Kits, they are NOT 100% Japan Bearings. You will find China Junk Bearings, and they will fail, and you will have engine damage. It's not worth it. Subaru Timing Belt Bearing (All of Them) This is the a sensitive area next to Head Gasket and Oil Pumps. Do these wrong and failures.

Also, NEVER Reuse Head Bolts. These are a ONE TIME USE ONLY.

What Oil Filters do you use?

Make sure you get the 2 new Engine ground straps (one on each side where the Rocker Cover to the Chassis)

Also, if it has a lot on miles on it, have the Fuel Injectors Properly/Professionally cleaned and tested.

Don't use after market Timing Belts, Pulleys, Idlers anywhere in the timing stuff,. ONLY Subaru, the rest are mixed with China cheap stuff.

Also, with the amount of mile on it, get a new radiator. Plastic & Aluminum wear out over time, replace them both with Subaru, also only Subaru Thermostat.

I do not agree with this, Ansin an Gates I have used both with no problems. Gates had a problem with the idle pully at one point but just check when you get the kit. yes the new one's do have the japan part on them and are good, but check. I have never had a problem with either. My last legacy still has a gates kit and is at about 200K miles.

Some people will swear by OEM stuff only and I agree with t-stat, OVC, and many other things. Many know I am an Amsoil guy, and all 8 of my Subaru's ran Amsoil fluids front to back, including rad fluid. I also only run Amsoil oil filters. Yes from some it cost is the problem. to each their own, but It has never let me down.

Edited by NORULZleggy

I do not agree with this, Ansin an Gates I have used both with no problems. Gates had a problem with the idle pully at one point but just check when you get the kit. yes the new one's do have the japan part on them and are good, but check. I have never had a problem with either. My last legacy still has a gates kit and is at about 200K miles.

Recently on the forum someone posted a gates timing belt tensioner leaking with 45k miles on it. I have heard similar stories locally even with the good Japanese pulley when they pull the timing assembly apart. I don't know the specifics of your 200k miles timing belt (older kit or perhaps the timing belt was not done at 105k intevals.), but I am guessing you didn't pull the timing cover to inspect it and blissfully you assume its good.

I would use a Aisin timing belt kit if one was looking to save some money.

I used the Aisin kit and was happy with it -- everything as as expected. It cost a little more than the Gates kit, but it's the kind of job that I really didn't want to go back to fix.

As far as your overheating is concerned, it seemed like you were idling the car for 15 minutes? Does the radiator fan come on?

I've been running a Mishimoto rad the last 50k miles and have been happy with it.