LegacyGT.com

Grinding Noise when Stopped

Hey all, I've recently started hearing some kind of intermittent grinding noise from my '05 LGT, seemingly more from the rear of the car. Originally I thought it was a wheel bearing or suspension issue, because it was happening at very low speeds when barely on the gas and the car was warm. Now it seems to also be happening when the vehicle is stopped and in gear also. I've still only heard the noise when the car is warm and has been driven for a little while (5-10 min).

It doesn't seem to increase or decrease particularly when on or off the gas, but typically only happens at idle speed or just above.

Any ideas on what this could be are welcome, all I can really think is that it's coming from the transmission or differential.

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Struggling with this in my 5eat right now. Started with a bad cv shaft and based on the grinding frequency and amplitude(unrelated to trans temp but related to freeway speeds) I purchased a new rear differential.

The logic for me was that it happened intermittently under load and always related to freeway driving but would go away after some time below 45mph. After replacing the rear wheel bearings With bonresolve I’m moving toward the tapered bearings in the rear diff (pinion/carrier) starting to show signs through noise. Good luck buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lvkeith, How many crap is stuck to the magnetic drain plug on the rear diff ? What does your fluid look like ? Should come out fairly clean looking.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the input! Turns out my exhaust was/is rattling off the rear sway bar at certain rpms. Weird since it never used to do it audibly, and nothing else around the area really changed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk