LegacyGT.com

Hi I am new in this forum, i have a 1996 sbubaru legacy L automatic. Im experience a problem with my car, when i start my car after like 10 min running it's start to dies when y put on the gas and start to sputtering misfiring. At first it was a vacuum line broken, i replace it and problem solved but after some months later the problem reappeared. I rechecked all vacuum lines and they are all in order when i scan my car read ignition coil and misfire in 2 and 3 cylinder. I changed the ignition coil, spark plugs and wire and the problem persist i even changed the pcv and i don't get the problem fixed. I will appreciate if someone could help me and point some possible solutions.

Thanks

Does the tool you scanned with have the ability to read live engine data? If so what are your short term and long term fuel trims? They may show in your tool as STFT and LTFT. The tool may also talk about banks and sensor numbers. Just collect up what you find and what the tool calls them. We're looking to see if you have large + or - percentages.

Does the tool you scanned with have the ability to read live engine data? If so what are your short term and long term fuel trims? They may show in your tool as STFT and LTFT. The tool may also talk about banks and sensor numbers. Just collect up what you find and what the tool calls them. We're looking to see if you have large + or - percentages.

No i used a regular scanner from autozone. I also change recently the gas pump

Have you checked the fuel filter to see if it is clogged ? Also how did you check the vaccum lines , because even if they 'look' fine they may still be bad. You can spray starter fluid on the ends of them while they are attached and while your car is running and if the engine surges then they need to be replaced

Have you checked the fuel filter to see if it is clogged ? Also how did you check the vaccum lines , because even if they 'look' fine they may still be bad. You can spray starter fluid on the ends of them while they are attached and while your car is running and if the engine surges then they need to be replaced

No i haven't check the fuel filter. That's gonna be my next step now that you mention it. That the method that i used, spraying starting fluids on the lines.

Yeah it wouldn't hurt to let it idle and spray something flammable around the engine bay to see if the idle increases. It's a 20 year old car with 20 year old rubber, so it's pretty safe to assume the rubber lines are dry and causing vacuum leaks.

Once when I had my intake apart for some work, after I put it together it would start and run great for about 10 seconds, and then it would stall. Turned out I left a large hose undone so huge vacuum leak. When the engine first starts it is using a default fueling table and then it switches to trying to use the sensors to set fueling. When things are too far out of whack it gives up and stalls.

You might consider any line in the intake system that connects closer to the engine than the MAF at the airbox. Depending on engine load any of these can let air into the system that didn't get measured by the MAF. When that happens the computer gets real confused.

Let me try to name a bunch from memory...

There is the main body of the intake tube between the airbox and the throttle body.

There is a big one (about 25mm) from the bottom of the intake tube just after the MAF that goes to the idle air control valve. That is the one I left off that made it not run.

There is a fairly big one from the PCV below the IACV that goes up to the intake tube or maybe it goes to the plenum, I forget.

There are some medium ones that go from each rocker cover to the bottom of the intake tube.

There is a big one that goes from one of the intake runners to the brake booster.

There may be one that goes from the intake runner to an EGR if you have one.

There is a small one that goes from an intake runner to the fuel pressure regulator.

There is a couple small ones coming from the charcoal canister, one of these goes to a solenoid valve under the intake runners and then into the intake runner. The other goes to the fuel tank.

I'm pretty sure there is another one that goes to another solenoid valve, but I don't remember what it is or where it runs. Maybe onto the passenger strut tower.

Edited by doublechaz