LegacyGT.com

front axle seals

So I was just putting in the new seals for the axles on the tranny, and one I had to sorta press in with a hammer and socket while the other seems a little loose, the driver side, and they seem to go in at different distances.

I was under the assumption that its the same part number for both, i read it might be two different numbers. I ordered both part numbers cause, whatever, so I ended up with 3 of them, one part number came with two, and one came in a single pack. I will get part numbers if I can find the receipt with the details.

I don't think sealant is required, but the driver side seal isn't as stable as the passenger side.

Any insight? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

They are two different seals and part numbers. When you see the nub's on the ID of the seal you'll understand which is left and which is right side.

The nubs keep the oil inside the tranny as the axle spins forward.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/_54101_6023398/DIFFERENTIAL-TRANSMISSION/B13-190-01.html

They have 4 different item numbers but there are only 2 sets of part numbers

1 of them comes with two I believe. I must have used the same thing, I will try the third one. But like I said they all look exactly the same.

They made this so confusing...

I didn't separate the 3 so I don't know which is which...

Edited by Tehnation

I can guaranty they are two different seals for a 5mt. One for the left, one for the right.

Hold the seals up as if they were in the tranny case. Notice which way the nubs angle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I think the confusion came from the passenger side part number comes with two, and then parts people are like yea , you only need that one, and I was like ehhhh let me just get both.... because it has two everyone assumes its for both left and right, so it's very logical. But this part number probably works with other subarus... what a waste...

Moral of this story:

You need 3 of these things to be on the right path to changing both, you get 2 for passenger and 1 for driver!!!

Edited by Tehnation

Just look through all of the post's in JmP's sticky, I didn't find anything about which axle seal goes where.

I do recall learning the difference.

Glad you got it figured out.

did you get two seals for one of the part numbers? and if so which one?

I ordered both at the dealership and ended up with 3 seals, which I am thinking is the reason for the confusion.

Edited by Tehnation

If you lay both seals with the outside facing up, look at the nubs in the ID of the seals the nubs should be going in different directions, one is left one is right side.

When you see it you'll understand.

pure confusion....

I ordered 2 more... different dealership. Just in case I installed them wrong, because I was not paying attention to any part number, I bought them last year, took them out the package and then decided not to install them until I was ready to install the axles...