LegacyGT.com

Intermittently wont start

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium, 120k miles. I had intermittent starting issues back in May. I would turn the key and no noise of it trying to start. Not even click click click. All lights would go on and the fairly new battery tested fine. I could wait a few hours and it would then start fine.

Went to the dealer and the mechanic came to the parking lot since it couldn't even start to bring it inside. He wiggled a wire near the starter and it started up. He cleaned and applied protectant to the starter signal wire. They charged me $60. This fixed the problem until yesterday. Wouldn't start then this morning it started fine.

What should I do?

Edited by computersoc

I would bet the wire going to the starter solenoid isn't making good contact. Find the wire on the connector on the back of the starter and wiggle it around. If that works for you, then I would take some time to either replace the wire or find a way to tighten the connector since it seems to not be making good contact.

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium, 120k miles. I had intermittent starting issues back in May. I would turn the key and no noise of it trying to start. Not even click click click. All lights would go on and the fairly new battery tested fine. I could wait a few hours and it would then start fine.

Went to the dealer and the mechanic came to the parking lot since it couldn't even start to bring it inside. He wiggled a wire near the starter and it started up. He cleaned and applied protectant to the starter signal wire. They charged me $60. This fixed the problem until yesterday. Wouldn't start then this morning it started fine.

What should I do?

Sounds like an issue with the wiring in your vehicle. Maybe start with cleaning the plug that the mechanic wiggled?

He already cleaned it in May.

I wouldn't eliminate it, maybe the mechanic only quickly cleaned it enough to start. It could be heavily corroded and need to be replace or require thoroughly cleaning (ie with a wire brush)

I wouldn't eliminate it, maybe the mechanic only quickly cleaned it enough to start. It could be heavily corroded and need to be replace or require thoroughly cleaning (ie with a wire brush)

That's kind of what I was on about. Some people just spray the cleaner on plugs/wires and don't even use something to clean all the crud off...