LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy GT Timing Belt Shopping List

Hello,

I've been pouring over the forums for this data but it's a bit difficult as it seems to be smattered across a few threads. I'm trying to figure out what parts I need for my 2010 Legacy GT to replace the timing belt/water pump/etc.

The 2010 seems to be a weird year where the water pump needs to be ordered from the stealership, as the Aisin TKF-004 kit contains the wrong one. Annoyingly, Aisin doesn't list a kit for the turbo on their website for my car, just the naturally-aspirated engine TKF-006 kit, and Rockauto doesn't show the TKF-004 under the 2010 LGT parts list either.

So I'm thinking I should be buying the following:

- TKF-004 kit - comes with a TB from Thailand, is this a concern?

- Subaru water pump 21111AA380

- OEM Subaru Thermostat & gasket kit 21210AA160

I'm planning to do this job by pulling the radiator so if there's any other low hanging fruit to tackle, feel free to mention it.

Are there any other kits worth looking at, such as from Dayco or Contitech ? If so, please post the part number for reference!

Edited by apokalypse

I can say that I just bought a Gates serpentine idler and tensioner for my 3.6. They both used no-name bearings, which means they’re probably cheap Chinese ones rather than NSK or Timken bearings. I’d imagine the timing belt kits use the same cheap bearings. They didn’t used to; both the Gates timing belt kits I bought for my last two Subarus used NSK bearings, as did a kit I bought for my Audi. This was ten, seven, and four years ago, respectively. I guess a lot can change in that much time.

I’m not worried about serpentine belt pulleys with cheap bearings because they’re so easy to change. But a crap bearing in a timing pulley is bad-news-bears.

I wouldn’t get the Gates if I was in your shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have a part number for you but the Continental Contitech kits are legit. Aisin will always be my top choice for any import vehicle with Conti kit 2nd. I've used the Dayco kits and I dont like them so I wont recommend them to someone.

The water pump is unique to the low production 2010-2012 Legacy GT, so not too many options. Here is a good walk through. I would drop the exhaust manifold and turbo rather than downpipe.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/210k-service-interval-2-5gt-timing-belt-and-water-pump-266795.html?t=266795&highlight=

I made a thread of OEM part numbers

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gt-timing-belt-service-part-numbers-269226.html?t=269226&highlight=

You should also get a set of exhaust manifold gaskets if your going dropping the turbo/manifolds. If your dropping just the down pipe, you should get new nut, studs, gaskets as you will need to cut those off. (the nuts are even problematic on taking off a brand new car)

I would buy this kit with the OEM sourced parts. You will need to buy the OEM water pump/gaskets from Subaru as well.

https://sixstarbernie.com/i-23179145-subaru-oem-timing-belt-kit-wrx-impreza-sti-forester-xt-legacy-gt-outback-xt-00-18.html

If you wanted to save money, you can buy the Contitech kit but you still need to buy a tensioner and water pump. The other kits that mention, you're throwing parts away and it won't be much of savings.

The water pump is unique to the low production 2010-2012 Legacy GT, so not too many options. Here is a good walk through. I would drop the exhaust manifold and turbo rather than downpipe.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/210k-service-interval-2-5gt-timing-belt-and-water-pump-266795.html?t=266795&highlight=

I made a thread of OEM part numbers

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gt-timing-belt-service-part-numbers-269226.html?t=269226&highlight=

You should also get a set of exhaust manifold gaskets if your going dropping the turbo/manifolds. If your dropping just the down pipe, you should get new nut, studs, gaskets as you will need to cut those off. (the nuts are even problematic on taking off a brand new car)

I would buy this kit with the OEM sourced parts. You will need to buy the OEM water pump/gaskets from Subaru as well.

https://sixstarbernie.com/i-23179145-subaru-oem-timing-belt-kit-wrx-impreza-sti-forester-xt-legacy-gt-outback-xt-00-18.html

If you wanted to save money, you can buy the Contitech kit but you still need to buy a tensioner and water pump. The other kits that mention, you're throwing parts away and it won't be much of savings.

Everything that he said. I just did mine and got the Aisin kit from RockAuto. The pulley's are all koyo bearings (good) and the belt is from Mitsubishi. It hurts me to see the brand new (wrong) water pump still in the box every time I see it, though, so I'd at least do the math on cost for going full OEM vs mix and match.

I also second the manifold drop method.

Here's the post in the DIY sticky about the coolant pipes: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5673463&postcount=11

The Kinugawa braided flexible lines are another cheaper option that I did, but I think I'd go with OEM if I did it again. Not thrilled with their fitment.

What's wrong with the Contitech timing belt? Is there just concern it's not as good as the Mitsuboshi?

Also if you live in the rust belt (and drive in the winter) the coolant lines going to the turbo are very likely rusted as well.

I'll also add coolant lines and rad hoses to the parts haul since I'm up in Canada and the roads are salty 50% of the year.

I had a weird rattle around 2200/2400rpm that I think might be coming from the upper heat shield around the turbo, but I think enough has rusted away that it no longer rattles :spin: I'm not sure if I'll be pulling enough off anyways to be able to replace it.

What's wrong with the Contitech timing belt? Is there just concern it's not as good as the Mitsuboshi?

Their is nothing wrong with the Continental Contitech timing belt kit. My reasoning is the OEM parts from the source I link isn't that much more. Admittedly I am OEM parts nerd when it comes to replacement parts.

Their is nothing wrong with the Continental Contitech timing belt kit. My reasoning is the OEM parts from the source I link isn't that much more. Admittedly I am OEM parts nerd when it comes to replacement parts.

Ah ok, fair enough. And I misread tensioner as timing belt so I was confused.

CONTITECH TB328K1 is $145 with no tensioner or water pump

Aisin TKF-004 $240 with a tensioner and wrong water pump

$285 for the Six Star Bernie kit (OEM) with tensioner and no water pump

I think I'm leaning towards the Aisin kit for completeness, and then just add on OEM parts as I go.

Of those options, I'd do the six star bernie OEM kit (ships free... so the differential is only $35 to an Aisin kit) and the OEM water pump from the online retailer of your choice.

My trouble is I'm Canadian... so that's a no-go on Six Star as they don't ship to the great north. Rockauto's shipping is very reasonable though for that Aisin kit, it comes out to $283 USD with taxes and shipping included.

If I go with the Six Star kit shipped to the border, I have to deal with customs/handling fee/border crossing/gas/etc, and I'm worried there would be additional duty levied because of the non-NA origin parts, though I'm not 100% if that's still a thing these days. The plus side to this though would be stacking the OEM water pump and any other parts I want to replace for cheaper than my dealer would sell... decisions, decisions.

Well that stinks. I didn't realize they wouldn't ship to Canada, but I guess it makes sense since it would be more costly. Are there any good vendors up there?

You mention gas as being a concern, so sounds like you aren't close enough to the border that maybe you could have the parts delivered on the US side and do the install at a friends house in the US or something like that...

The Aisin kit sounds like a winner, then - I have used the Aisin TKH-002 kit for our Odyssey and the parts quality is OEM, so I am sure the one for the Subaru is great, as well. There are a number of options for the water pump from Rockauto, but I don't know what their quality is like...

• 2 months later...
Everything that he said. I just did mine and got the Aisin kit from RockAuto. The pulley's are all koyo bearings (good) and the belt is from Mitsubishi. It hurts me to see the brand new (wrong) water pump still in the box every time I see it, though, so I'd at least do the math on cost for going full OEM vs mix and match.

I also second the manifold drop method.

Here's the post in the DIY sticky about the coolant pipes: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5673463&postcount=11

The Kinugawa braided flexible lines are another cheaper option that I did, but I think I'd go with OEM if I did it again. Not thrilled with their fitment.

Did you buy the TKF-004 or TKF-006? In the -004 kit, it looks like one of the bearings is different, I have two of the black bearings instead of one black one orange.

Did you buy the TKF-004 or TKF-006? In the -004 kit, it looks like one of the bearings is different, I have two of the black bearings instead of one black one orange.

None of my stock bearings were orange. The were 4 bearings, 1- small, 1- cogged and 2 same sized bearings. Timing belt, bearings, tensioners were interchangable for all variations of the EJ255 & EJ257 (DOHC Turbo) motor.

Edited by dgoodhue

None of my stock bearings were orange. The were 4 bearings, 1- small, 1- cogged and 2 same sized bearings. Timing belt, bearings, tensioners were interchangable for all variations of the EJ255 & EJ257 (DOHC Turbo) motor.

It was an NSK bearing for the lower left idler, but I have two of the same Koyo bearings from the Aisin kit.

Looking at https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2010_Legacy-25L-TURBO-6MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/_54102_6022813/CAMSHAFT--TIMING-BELT-TIMING-BELT-10MY-12MY/B14-013-04.html though it looks like they're both Koyo now.

I used the gates racing kit. Tck328rb. Cost more but it had OE idlers and tensioner. I did not mess with the water pump. It was completely smooth and quiet. Might be an option up there north of the border. The link has photos of what was in the box.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2010-lgt-gates-timing-belt-replacement-278666.html