LegacyGT.com

Hey everyone, I'm looking for opinions here. I will try and give as much information as I can here, as I've finally found a car I want. But... It's dead. Rod knock on an 08 Spec B.

Basics are this. It's an 08 Canadian Spec B with 223,000 kms on it, they guy blew a turbo, put another on... 3 months later engine done (sounds familiar) I'm not sure on the new turbo being any good now, I didn't pull the intercooler to see what the new one was, I did see a brand new housing though.

The body isn't perfect, but it's overall decent, it's seen it's share of Canadian winters here in ontario so rust is forming. There is some rust stains from the doors on the chrome bits of the side skirts. That's pretty much all the bad, except the car needs a HUGE cleaning. It's dirty as hell and it's last vacuum looks like it was 3 years ago. The interior is in very good shape overall though.

The good... The main of the paint looks in excellent shape, very good quality job tint done, full coilover setup, swaybars (silver ones, not sure what brand) with some good endlinks, only one small fender bender in it's lifetime with a $1700 claim. There is a full exhaust done and it did have a tune with the intake he had on it. The tires are also pretty much brand new. The guy was the second owner and overall seems like a legit decent guy. It had a new clutch done just over a year ago and the timing belt only has 40,000 kms on it.

He specified he wanted around $3500 canadian dollars, I'm thinking more around the 2700-3000 mark.

What do you guys think it's worth just off the top of your head, should I come up a bit or stick to my guns. It's been sitting for 3 months so I know it's not going anywhere fast.

Edited by MaasaiWarrior
08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Let me see....6mt, 6mt, 6mt with lots of nice pieces...

You know how to do most of the work yourself and know what you need to do.

Figure another $4-5000 and you'll be driving it for years.

Can you put up with the rust, is the big question ?

You can spray the bottoms of the doors with Fluid Film or another rust treatment, they will slow things down in the rust dept.

I'll admit, the more I think abut it...that rust... How good are you at doing body work ?

Try offering 2900 and see what he says. Just point out the rust...has you worried.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I will do all the work for myself, except really things where I would need specialized machinery like a alignment.

I think I can put up with the rust, but I have started doing the bodywork on my 05 and it has turned out really well for my basic knowledge.

The 6mt and the interior I think would be worth around the 3k mark and that's what I was looking for next.

I'll look into fluid film or an equivalent, thanks Max

I think once you clean the interior, you'll feel even better about it.

I found Fluid Film on one of the racks in the main aisle in Home Depot the other day, next to WD-40.

I've been using Fluid Film on my 86 F150 for years.

I don't have the patience to do body work. Been doing a little on the old Ford lately. Bonded in fender patch panels over the wheels that I bought 11 years ago...finally got around to it.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

My current car is cleaner than this one, body wise except at the rear rockers.. this one looks cleaner underneath though. Interior is a different ball game really, I'd have to clean the sh*t out of the spec b to see which is better in the end. But I do love that 08-09 interior over my 05. Although I have done the jdm dual din, and sti seats.

Btw it looks like I can get fluid film at Canadian Tire here $16 a can. Funny I just checked a store around the corner from my work... $12 a can

patch panels, I think it was post 256. Been to long to remember, the system is really slow right now.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p7.html

haha great timing, I picked up the set of those I ordered over a month ago this morning at my local post office. The first set was apparently damaged and sent back, I was planning on using those on my 05, but this 08 has come up...

I will be talking to the guy this evening about purchase price if we can agree on it

My current car is cleaner than this one, body wise except at the rear rockers.. this one looks cleaner underneath though. Interior is a different ball game really, I'd have to clean the sh*t out of the spec b to see which is better in the end. But I do love that 08-09 interior over my 05. Although I have done the jdm dual din, and sti seats.

Btw it looks like I can get fluid film at Canadian Tire here $16 a can. Funny I just checked a store around the corner from my work... $12 a can

I like Corrosion Free (Canadian product) tons better than Fluid Film. Does not smell, clings better. Fluid Film reeks like hell and does not last as long as Corrosion Free.

I like Corrosion Free (Canadian product) tons better than Fluid Film. Does not smell, clings better. Fluid Film reeks like hell and does not last as long as Corrosion Free.

And buy either in bulk and use spray gun. Using it cans is waste of money.

Corrosion Free's spray gun is pricey, but a top notch quality.

I actually used to work in a shop and we were certified with corrosion free, I sprayed a bunch of vehicles back in the day with it.

I found some today for 50% off in cans I grabbed some of those and fluid film which was about 20% off