LegacyGT.com

2.2L Idle-smoking issues

I have a 1995 Legacy engine 2.2L that I transplanted to my home-built trike. It was running fine before and after the transplant as I drove the trike around my yard, thus finding out my transmission needed replacement.

After sitting a few weeks in the garage while I worked on the trans replacement I went out to start the engine and it started blowing white smoke, like a lot of it. I replaced the head gaskets and had the heads resurfaced, re-assembled the engine and it still smoked. This time, though, the smoke looks more bluish and the engine runs like the ignition wires are crossed: idles rough and difficulty in getting the rpms up.

Is it possible to be 180 degrees off on the timing? Would this cause the smoking exhaust? The timing belt marks and camshaft marks were all aligned and the #1 piston was TDC when reassembled.

Thanks,

dmend

That gen of 2.2 is non interference so it's possible to run 180 off and not destroy the engine. But the crank rotates twice for every single rotation of the cams. Take the timing covers off and verify that. Otherwise it's possible you have a sticking valve and or sticking rings from possibly getting debris down in the cylinders when you did the heads? I'm just spit balling here.