LegacyGT.com

What's the latest on an STi version?

Where can one get the latest info on this? I have seen pictures of a sedan and wagon STi, supposed to have a twin turbo H6. I need a reason to "upgrade" from my '96 S6 avant, and AWD and 300hp is the benchmark. Any links with rumors/news appreciated, I have scoured the web and am coming up with very little in the way of spy shots or info on this. Thanks, Robert

Hi Randerson and welcome to the site, hope you enjoy yr stay and you along with the rest of us, can find the information and one day buy the infamous Unicorn... Lot of information, scratch that, lot of talk out there and a lot of pics but still nothing in concrete. Subaru unlike a lot of car builders, keep their cards very close to their chest and who can blame them with the FUN FACTOR cranked to 100000% with concept ideas like the H6 Twin Turbo. Like you, there are a lot of ppl on this board waiting for the big bang theory. Im sure it will happen, but when ?????? Stay tuned for more....

From what I have heard - it is all just rumors, and speculation. Some say big turboed 2.5L and some say twin turbo H6, STi 6 speed, brembos, etc. There are some pics around - some of the guys on here have some nice pics of the LGT STi in that WR blue color. Looks awesome :o I know the feeling of waiting though - I am coming from a 350Z and I am having a hard time deciding if I should try and wait for a LGT STi - or buy a GT now and maybe mod it later.

I was waiting for the R35 GTR for awhile, but 2007 was too far off - not to mention it is probably going to be a little pricey!! An AWD G35 coupe would be nice - but I am still not crazy about Infiniti's (interior) styling.

[quote name='ion']I was waiting for the R35 GTR for awhile, but 2007 was too far off - not to mention it is probably going to be a little pricey!! An AWD G35 coupe would be nice - but I am still not crazy about Infiniti's (interior) styling.[/quote] Speaking of AWD coupes, besides the Golf R32, and Audi TT, are there any really sporty AWD coupes out right now? Not that I can think of... SUBIE, Here's a market for ya! Turn the Legacy into a compact-to-midsize coupe! (I know this has been discussed in another thread) With 2.5i or GT power, 6mt, AWD, and ya might even "borrow" the 3/4 suicide door idea from Mazda and Saturn. That would kick serious a$$. An STi powered version would be second only to an e46 M3 or a 911 Porsche, as a killer coupe. The VAG products above, and the RX8, and G35 Coupe would be in serious marketshare trouble! Possibly even the Accord, Solara, Crossfire, 05 Mustang, and even the 350z, 330Ci, and GTO. None of those (aside from VW/Audi) have AWD going for them, which would make them instantly at an advantage in the snow-belt states. Plus it would be more classically coupe/wedge styled than the Golf/TT. I can just see a comercial, showing a 350z under a cover in a garage for the winter, and a bunch of other FWD and RWD coupes struggling on snow covered streets, with the Legacy (would coupe get another name?) GT coupe just tracking straight past all of them, surefootedly.

A Legacy Coupe would be awesome. I wasn't too fond of getting back into another sedan, but there wasn't too much choices out there for a good looking AWD Coupe - only the Audi TT and that is about $10K more than the Legacy GT Limited and have about identical performance (compared to the 5EAT GT Leg). OT: If I was looking for a RWD car, I think the '05 GTO would be the most bang for the buck - LS2 motor - 6.0L V8 w/ 400hp and 395 lb ft of torque. I'd love that car, but snow and ice aren't exactly the best mix with hi-po rwd cars - hence the reason why it comes off my list. Not to mention the raping the insurance companies give to drivers under 25 in performance cars. - Mike

Wunderkind, actually the RS-Coupe is rather coveted, well maybe that's just now. The Legacy will not change from it's current platform under it's Legacy name. Adding a Coupe version of the sedan though would add in a whole new market, which I've been talking about since sometime last year would be a good addition considering other options available in that style and equipment group. I want my Legacy STi in a Wagon form though. ;)

There is no "latest," a word that implies actual news, rather than rumor, speculation and innuendo. Next we'll be hearing that the Legacy STi will have nitrous, steel rods instead of struts and a JATO assist. Do yourself a favor. Buy a GT. Drive it, enjoy it, and fall in love with it. It really is a fabulous car. Further, with that GT purchase, you will be doing all that you can to ensure that an STi comes, even more than starting petitions, camping out in front of the homes of Subaru executives, etc. To the original post, the GT will outperform your S6. Anyone who is in doubt about the capabilities of this car, should drive a broken-in one. It is so fast that I am having to relearn how to drive in traffic, and this is coming from a WRX. Same effort=a lot more speed, so I'm on the brakes more. That smoothness will come, however. Now, when the WRX blew up huge, coupled with the arrival of the EVO, Subaru had to hit harder with the STi, and felt they had a market that would justfify it. If the GT tanks, because people are "waiting for the Legacy STi," what makes anyone think that Subaru will bring that car out and over here? Further, people are carping about the Legacy GT Ltd. being poor value. A Legacy STi is going to cost at least $5K more than the GT. Look at the WRX to WRX STi price difference. For a performance upgrade of the likes that people are speculating about, expect to pony up a LOT more dosh. A lot of stuff has to happen for a Legacy STi to come. Might one? Sure. This year? Nope. Next? Not if the GT doesn't blow up real good, and sales figures that are only 12% improved isn't exactly gangbusters. Kevin

A beat down never felt so good. Welcome back gtguy. I think you and a few of us have made your point before, but the kids will be kids. Buy the Leg GT today, enjoy it, and just about the time your GT is at peak trade value (say 40k miles or two years) you can trade it in for a Leg GT/sti. With a little timing luck, you will be buying a second year Leg GT/sti with all bugs worked out. That’s my plan and I am sticking to it.

[quote name='gtguy']There is no "latest," a word that implies actual news, rather than rumor, speculation and innuendo. Next we'll be hearing that the Legacy STi will have nitrous, steel rods instead of struts and a JATO assist. Do yourself a favor. Buy a GT. Drive it, enjoy it, and fall in love with it. It really is a fabulous car. Further, with that GT purchase, you will be doing all that you can to ensure that an STi comes, even more than starting petitions, camping out in front of the homes of Subaru executives, etc. To the original post, the GT will outperform your S6. Anyone who is in doubt about the capabilities of this car, should drive a broken-in one. It is so fast that I am having to relearn how to drive in traffic, and this is coming from a WRX. Same effort=a lot more speed, so I'm on the brakes more. That smoothness will come, however. Now, when the WRX blew up huge, coupled with the arrival of the EVO, Subaru had to hit harder with the STi, and felt they had a market that would justfify it. If the GT tanks, because people are "waiting for the Legacy STi," what makes anyone think that Subaru will bring that car out and over here? Further, people are carping about the Legacy GT Ltd. being poor value. A Legacy STi is going to cost at least $5K more than the GT. Look at the WRX to WRX STi price difference. For a performance upgrade of the likes that people are speculating about, expect to pony up a LOT more dosh. A lot of stuff has to happen for a Legacy STi to come. Might one? Sure. This year? Nope. Next? Not if the GT doesn't blow up real good, and sales figures that are only 12% improved isn't exactly gangbusters. Kevin[/quote] I KNEW IT! :lol: Good to see you back Kevin! The forums really haven't been the same without you. As to what Kevin said, it's impossible to disagree with him. My GT is wicked fast and I don't even have it broken in yet. It has superceded my expectations infinitely. It's smooth, fast and comfortable. Doing 100 feels like I am doing 65 in my WRX. So much more confidence!

[quote name='wunderkind']Subaru's coupes don't sell too well. Look at the SVX and RS coupe. Think of Subaru, think of utility. :D[/quote] One word: Looks. The SVX was a cool car, but it looks spacey. Especially now. it looks like an 80's concept car for "1999!" Mechanically very cool, though. It was a bit big. 2.5 RS. Those who know really like this car. I think it got hampered by looking so much like a base impreza. a little to "econo-box" looking, even though it was much more than that. The coupe market is fickle. Mercedes is canceling it's C-class coupe. What is Toyota coming out with? Scion TC. With the supercharger it is almost a direct ripoff of a C230 Kompressor coupe, with a normal trunk, a volvo front end and BMW "eyebrows." A subaru legacy coupe would fit in the market nicely. I should take this topic to the proper thread...

[quote name='wunderkind']SVX was designed by Giugario of Italdesign. Show some respect boy! ;) Just wait .... 2006 STi Legacy will descend upon us Subaru faithfuls. And it will not be cheap![/quote] I should have known. Georgio Giugiaro is a prolific designer, and some of his designs, like the BMW Nazca, and Lambo Calá are simply stunning, and others, like the Alfa Scighera are just plain "out there." The SVX certainly makes a statement. I still think it looks a little bit like a late 80's concept car, which is a striking, but unfortunately is not a timeless design, and is looking a tad bit dated, without looking bad. I am hoping that the Legacy STi will be a performance bargain, at a base price of about 36k. Much cheaper than the M3 and S4. I would love a coupe, sedan, and wagon versions of their hotted up car. Not even BMW or Audi do that. Sedan and wagon would be a great, though.

I've modded it: Eibach/Billstein, chip, exhaust, Porsche 996TT calipers, it's at about 300 hp, and yes, it's heavy, but I've personally seen 155 and have smoked WRX's and STi's at the track (latter due no doubt to inexperienced drivers). And stability at triple digits unrivaled. But the point is very well taken. Audi only brought the S6 avant over one year, 300 to the US, there is quite a cult following and little that outperforms a modded one in its niche. Once the Legacy STi and other AWD super wagons hit the street (seems manufacturers are finally waking up to this segment in the US), my wagon will drop in value. I only have about 72K on the odo, and based on what I am seeing now, it should get me in firing range of a new GT wagon. And like you said, jsut wait it out until the STi wagon comes out. Man does it look sweet. I love the lack o' roof rack. Japanese cars have never really done it for me (other than in reliability), but the WRx STi (less that trunk wing) and this new Legacy really get my motor running. Robert

Coupe and 2 door Hatchback Imprezas and Leggies please. STi versions for all! Massive handling/power/performance! Beats everyone on and off road races! Subaru takes over the world :twisted: Ok scratch the last one. ;) Subaru used to be the 2 door hatchback king. I think they would make a profit from such products.

Archived