LegacyGT.com

Changing radiator

After other issues (electrical, battery dying..bulbs out) my radiator sprung a tiny leak on the top and I got a replacement..

Main question is how much coolant is going to come out when I drain it...wondering what size pan or whatever to use to catch it in...

Cars raised I. The front on Jack's and plastic splash guard is off...easier to just pull the lower hose and drain vs. the plug on the radiator ?

Suggestion or help appreciated.

Thanks

Just know, no matter how much you try...its going to make a mess.

Just recently replaced the radiator in my 86 Ford F150, ($67.99). Only had two 12-18" spots on the driveway afterwards. I rinsed them off with the hose, after a few rain storms the stains will be gone.

You can even use some laundry detergent and a stiff brush/broom to clean up the stains if you'd like too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Recently changed my radiator,thermostat, and flushed the system. Radiator held roughly a gallon. Bought two gallons for filling and burping. After a week of driving, noticed the coffee pot gurgle. Had to burp it again.

Replaced today...tightened everything (except plastic splash guard and exhaust heat shield) started and let run for 10 mins checking for leaks etc.....thennnn I googled burping etc...

Gonna have to let it sit and cool down for a while and do all that before I drive it..I added about half a gallon of coolant.

Wouldnt hurt to test drive it without that exhaust heat shield and the splash guard off would it? Like down the road etc..

Don't drive it very far if that's how you plan to burp it.

Just jack up the right front corner as high as you can. remove the cap from the turbo tank, start the engine and turn on the heater to high. Watch in that tank for bubble to come out. you can squeeze the top hose from time to time too.

There also a funnel you buy that will aid the process without having to jack the car up.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Replaced today...tightened everything (except plastic splash guard and exhaust heat shield) started and let run for 10 mins checking for leaks etc.....thennnn I googled burping etc...

Gonna have to let it sit and cool down for a while and do all that before I drive it..I added about half a gallon of coolant.

Wouldnt hurt to test drive it without that exhaust heat shield and the splash guard off would it? Like down the road etc..

I'd definitely put both on. If it's the heat shield I'm thinking of, it's mainly for keeping your transmission lines and fluid cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Update..

It works..

Had it get hot on the first short drive,

came home asap

let it cool down...googled more..

.properly burped it etc.. drove it...all good. Came home

Next morning coolant on floor.

Crap..

The drain plug needed tightened more than what the factory did..it was even marked with like a paint marker for some reason..as were the tranny cooler lines...that also needed tightening..

Now I'm just concerned about tranny fluid lost...

I've checked it and it appears fine level wise...even after losing a little...

I know I don't wanna new transmission so I'm checking it diligently.

Subie isn't my primary mode of transportation so it's not like I've put many miles on it at all since all this has happened.