LegacyGT.com

How to install Techna-Fit Stainless Steel Brake Lines

This is more frustrating than doing an uppipe/downpipe install...

I started at 330pm thinking I could get the lines on and bleed the brakes by the early evening,...I got the passenger front done without problems,..

Then I started on the front driver side,..Repeated process until my flare wrench slipped on the nut,..so I tried to loosen again,..starting to round off,...hit it with PB blast,...tried with flare again,..now definitely its rounding out,..so I got the old vise grips..then crescent wrench,..then awe shoots, better leave it on cause the nut is almost completely gone,..my cuzn will hopefully get it off with a mini-plummers wrench tomorrow morning,..I got the passanger rear done too but with some resistance in "cracking" the stock line to caliper hose loose,..

So what I got in store for me tomorrow is the driver rear and hopefully be able to get the driver front off,..If the mini-sized plummers wrench doesnt work,..I will be running 3 Technafit lines and 1 oem till I can find a solution to get it fixed??

Does Subaru sell a pre-bent brake line to the driver side from master cylinder??

Sheesh,..so difficult only cause this install was fighting me all the way trying to crack loose the monkey-torque or frozen joint,...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You may wanna edit your recommendation on any DOT 5 brake fluid before someone screws their car up.

yea.. DOT 5 is silicone based.. it will F up your brake system and DOT 3 and 4 are Glycol based.. i believe the OEM fluid is DOT 3.. the higher the DOT rating, the higher the temperature rating is..

more force = rounding. I found a tap tap from a small sledge on the wrench opens those right up.

Yes,..the point right after I had stripped the driver side front and started on the 3rd side (passenger rear), I took the "shock" or quick twist style of trying to break the connection loose,...Even the rear gave me some trouble on the joint in the middle between the caliper and the front line.:iam:

Funny,..right now Hawaii has been in Flash flood warning weather for the past 2 weeks now,..yesterday has been sunny,..today its raining pretty hard,...gotta do the lines in my garage a little wet and cold today,...

ahh,...not my day(s) I guess,...

Hope the Gruppe-S hot coated V2s when it comes in later this week wont give me any troubles even though it should be a straight forward install,...:)

luckily everything else finished up ok,...I wish the rear calipers still had a little extra slack though,..

Still have to do the driver front,..my cuzn got called into work due to a flood at one of the power plants (State worker/mechanic),..

Will have to go to Sears to see if they have those mini-plumber's wrenches,..

BTW,.what is the concensus on bleeding Pass. Front, Driver's Rear, Pass. Rear, Driver's front???

thanks

Kevin

Sheesh,..so difficult only cause this install was fighting me all the way trying to crack loose the monkey-torque or frozen joint,...

yea, frozen brake lines are super fustrating, I have seen some that actually heat up the connection (which no one should do with flammable liquids) and just use some really nice set of vice grips and destroy the stock rubber line.

Keefe

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I finished my brake line job off tonight. I started the job a couple of weeks ago but the front drivers side bolt began to round off, even though I was using a flare nut wrench. I ended up going to Sears and getting a pair of big ass vise grips to break it loose. If I was to do the job from the begining I would have used PB Blaster on all bolts just to be safe. My car only has 5K miles, but it would have helped.
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine in the mail tyesterday and noticed something

Looking at the lines it is clear some have smaller/bigger orifices where they attach to the hard line. I'm imagining that this is to preserve brake balance on the different total length lines between right and left. Will it be clear to me when I pull the stock lines off which size orifice line to put on? i.e: One front brake line has a bigger hole in it then the other.

Do the lines with the bigger I.D. grommet go on the left or right side of the car? I'm guessing they are built this way for a reason. If I had to guess, I'd say the bigger I.D. lines go on the right side of the car since they are farther from the master cylinder.

Well, the front lines can't be turned around because the banjo fitment is on the other end. The rears have the same (small) size grommet on the other end. The final rear lines also have the small size on them.

Nobody seems to know whay they are made this way. I've been waitng for two days to hear back from Ravspec. If I can't get an answer, I'm going to return them.

No offense Keefe, but "it shouldn't matter" when it comes to a braking system doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :icon_tong

I'll go home and see if I can dig up my stock lines for you to do a small comparison.. RavSpec would end up calling Techna-Fit anyways to find out why they are made this way.

I can understand your concern.. but let's just put it in this sense: What if I overlooked this issue on my own car and I have my lines installed backwards? I would have made a note already by now about how odd the car feels under braking (especially since I have tracked my car about 2 weekend full and had probably have much more grave concerns than you do of me blasting 120+ mph into a braking zone).

There's also a chance I installed it correctly as well (if there happens to be a directional flow to them or placement of each line to each corner) but there's a possibly that your application that it can be installed "incorrectly". I'll see if I can clear this up for you by this weekend if there is a left-right application to installing them.

But to my experience, it shouldn't change your brake bias or anything that would change the initial brake feel compared to repeated pumping. In your other thread, I posted up how the brake distribution works on the GT (or many other modern day Subarus and other cars for that matter).

Keefe

Thanks Keefe!

This is cross posted I know, but I wanted to get a few more people in on this discussion.

Like I said in the other post. I'm in the process of contacting Techna-Fit, we will see what the deal is.

Well, the front lines can't be turned around because the banjo fitment is on the other end. The rears have the same (small) size grommet on the other end. The final rear lines also have the small size on them.

Nobody seems to know whay they are made this way. I've been waitng for two days to hear back from Ravspec. If I can't get an answer, I'm going to return them.

No offense Keefe, but "it shouldn't matter" when it comes to a braking system doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :icon_tong

I didnt call techna-fit, but I did go over their catalog:

http://www.techna-fit.com/images/Crimpct.pdf

It could very well be that there is a slight difference in the Subaru Female crimp end (#SU700-03-31S) and and a Toyota Female crimp end (#S760-03-31S, #S761-03-31S, S762-03-31S (SUPRA), #TY159-15-31S) which all have 10mm x 1.0 connection.

When in doubt, you can also call up Techna-fit directly to find out why the female ends are different.

Keefe

Keefe, I never should have doubted you. But I had to check into as best I can. Techn-Fit got back to me and said everything is cool. Though I didn't get a reason for why they made the change mid-run. I posted their response in the other thread I started.

Thanks again! Lines go on per your instructions.

cool deal.. it could very well be that they used some toyota female ends in the mid run? I dunno, but like I said in my other post, there's plenty of other female ends that they could have used that worked just fine with Subarus as well, afterall, most of this stuff are standardized parts.

I know I am just human as everyone else when it comes to this stuff and I know I have a lot of things to deal with to get my facts straight, if anyone the boards see that i put up a bad post, just let me know so I can correct myself in the process.. there's enough wrong or incorrect information floating around, i just dont want to contribute to that part of it.

Keefe

Thanks again Keefe!

Instructions are spot on. Car feels good with the new lines in!

Don't know if you've tried this, but I ended up clamping the flare nut wrench in place over the fitting with a vice-grip. Made it very easy to break the lines loose, and not damage the fitting as a vice-grip alone might do. I found that my wrench was still slipping/bending, and starting to cause rounding, thats why I tried it with the VG to hold it down. Works great, especially since you have to apply some serious torque on those things!

• 3 months later...
I personally ignored the bleeding order (I did it the old school way starting with the caliper furtheest away from the master cylinder), although it would save you on fluid, but however you look at it, the fluid will all eventually come out. Just make note that Techna-fit lines used Standard tools, I don't recall what Goodridge lines used for sizes (havent seen a set since my WRX days).
Keefe

Archived