LegacyGT.com

Possible fuel leak (?)

Hi all,

I have a 05 LGT with a tune, CAI, exhaust, and EBC. Today I parked on a semi-steep slope for no more than 5 minutes. Come to start my car and it was a little less than a quarter tank full (I got gas yesterday night and only drove 2.5 miles after filling up). I did drive, before parking on the slope, a total of 35-40 miles. Then after I left, the gas started to go up again and the reading for miles left before empty also started going up. Can someone help me understand if this is electrical or if I have a possible leak or the tank is just going to shi*t?

Thanks and cheers.

Parked on a semi-steep slope? Need I say more?

Lol I know I am a more or less dumbazz when it comes to cars..but is this really normal? This never ever happened to any of my previous cars. One time I filled up, started the car, and it was near empty. Started driving and then it went up... I do not think that is normal.

If you don't fully turn the car off when getting gas, it can take a few minutes for the gauge to read correctly. Or if you don't fill the tank sometimes, only putting in a few gallons...I've seen it take a few minutes to catch up.

If you have a fuel leak, you will smell it.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Similar thread in the outback forums: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/27917-fuel-gauge-steep-hills-can-you-ignore-if-you-know-you-have-fuel.html

It's most likely because of the angle of the hill and the location of your fuel level sensor. If it returns to the level it should be at after being on relatively flat ground for a bit, then you should be fine.