LegacyGT.com

Results from self-painting my grille....

voyetra8

How much of the can did you end up using? I used the same kit from paintscratch and the whole can wouldn't cover the primer!! it came out like flat black crap.

I used the whole can for each of the steps....

1 can primer, 1 can paint, 1 can clearcoat.

Probably got at least 5 coats of each.... I still had a bit left in each can when done.

I found out that I should have used a adhesion promoter, but I had already applied the primer, and didn't feel like sanding it all off. (If it starts flaking, I'll just buy an aftermarket grille.)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just take it to a body shop. It's a pain in the ass because of all of the different surfaces you have to hit. Unless you have a spray booth, I really don't suggest trying it.

I don't understand:

did you use the whole can or was there some left over? Did the color coats come out glossy? did it have flakes in it? or did the clear coat make it glossy?

I appreciate the help because i am having problems with painscratch about this and would like any info i can get

I don't understand:

did you use the whole can or was there some left over? Did the color coats come out glossy? did it have flakes in it? or did the clear coat make it glossy?

I appreciate the help because i am having problems with painscratch about this and would like any info i can get

I used almost an entire can for each step, with a little left over, just in case I needed to retouch something. I got about 5 coats from a can.

The color coats were not glossy. (That's what the clear coat is for.)

And yes, the color coat had flakes in it.

What problems are you having?

I did a whole grill mod job so as you can see i know what i am doing with bodywork stuff http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22217

Below is the results i got after 2 coats of adhesion primer 2 coats of greay primer and then the whole can of the bascoat color. The paint was very thin and wouldnot give me any coverage. There was also no flakes in the paint.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/D08/DSC01351.jpg

Whoa. What the hell is going on there? Something isn't right....

How long did you shake the cans before using? Were you using them upside down?

PaintScratch is pretty reputable. I'd be surprised if they screwed up the paint. I know they have a fairly decent return policy. Have you talked to them yet?

I did a whole grill mod job so as you can see i know what i am doing with bodywork stuff http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22217

Below is the results i got after 2 coats of adhesion primer 2 coats of greay primer and then the whole can of the bascoat color. The paint was very thin and wouldnot give me any coverage. There was also no flakes in the paint.

sounds like you got the wrong, or bad paint. it shouldnt have been that thin. Have you talked to anyone at paintscratch.com about this yet?

I shaked the hell out of the can while smoking a cig so about 4-5 mins and yes it was sprayed upright at about 8 to 10 inches. It felt like there was too much solvent in the can and the spray and paint was to think almost like water paint.

I am talking withn them over there and they are looking into the issue but since i used every last drop of the paint i have nothing to send to them as proof so its going back and forth. I will keep you posted. thanks for your help.

no the adhesion primer and grey primer worked just like they should - but they are not custom mixed cans as you know. Yea i realy think that there was too much solvent mixed into the color base and no flake. I think your's came out amazing and thats y i asked for your feedback because i was expecting the results you got. Thanks for your help man.

"Your replacement PaintScratch order has shipped. We carefully checked the paint against the factory color chip. Please check the color match before applying it to your vehicle. Either spray or brush the paint on a small index card and compare it to your vehicle BEFORE applying. Please notify us if the color is incorrect. Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,

The Team at PaintScratch.com"

I'm glad they belive in customer service!! +1 for paintscratch.com

Archived