LegacyGT.com

Intake manifold spacer problem

Okay so finishing up my sti turbo swap I ran into a little problem. I bought iag’s manifold spacers so I can fit my turbo inlet pipe. Well I was bolting it down and I noticed a little gap on the front of the drivers side runners and on the rear passenger side runner. I took it off and I noticed two little plugs where the gaps were. I got them down as far as I can without stripping the hex but they still stick out. I want to say it has maybe 1/16inch of a gap. It looks like the problem is the spacers are the same exact design as the gaskets and not the tgvs. The tgvs have that part cut out while the spacers and gaskets don’t.

Would this cause a leak? I’m using two gaskets on each side. One below the spacers and one above it. But I really don’t want to put everything together just to have to take it back off again. Any running intake spacers what did you do?

If you can't tighten down the hex anymore, might be the wrong length. I have had machine shops replace plugs with the wrong ones. It should be completely flush. Good luck

Well they are short Like 1/4-1/2in big. The hole for it is well over 2 inches. Only way it it shouldn’t go down is if it’s npt I think that’s the thread that gets bigger towards the top don’t remember exactly. But either way I tightened it down too tight and I can’t even get them out anymore. The hex is rounding. I’m just wondering now if I should just drill a hole through the spacers. That way it won’t interfer with the spacers and gaskets.

It would work as long as you are careful and precise. If not, will be leaking anyway. Put whiteout on the plug, then slide the gasket on top so you know where to "make adjustments" lol.

If it was my engine, I would get those plugs out and replace with the correct ones. Sometimes a Torx socket grabs better than a hex.

It would work as long as you are careful and precise. If not, will be leaking anyway. Put whiteout on the plug, then slide the gasket on top so you know where to "make adjustments" lol.

If it was my engine, I would get those plugs out and replace with the correct ones. Sometimes a Torx socket grabs better than a hex.

Ya the gasket actually made the exact location and size of the hole I did to drill out if I end up doing that. Guess the material rubbed off and left a perfect grey circle.

I just tried the hex still no luck. I think I might just try the hole and hope for the best. And if it doesn’t seal I’ll just take everything off and think of a different way I guess. What’s the best way to check for manifold leaks? Soapy water? Or would it be audible?

I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom gasket and through the spacer I threw it back together and sprayed it with soapy water didn’t see any bubbles or any of it getting sucked in. Nor could o feel any air escaping or sucking. So imma finish the swap(just gotta finish connecting some hoses and tighten it all down) and hopefully it’s all good to go

Today took some carb cleaner and sprayed the spacers just to make sure and I had no idle change at all so I think it’s safe to say it is dealing with the holes drilled out to fit that little plug.

If they ever blow well guess it’ll be the perfect time for TGV Deletes since I didn’t do them. Here is a question if you guys know. Would the sti top feed TGV Deletes fit? If they really are taller than the legacy gts than that and the spacers or even just the deletes would be a good way to go.

Also I couldn’t get a sti bov return hose to fit under the manifold and throttle body. Right now I just have the bov and port on the turbo inlet plugged. Anyone got any ideas to fix this?