LegacyGT.com

OB to LGT height - rims/tires/struts to run?

Rethinking how I want to lower my outback now that I've asked a million people about rubbing issues. Since I just want a more modest wheel arch gap without any hassle and thinking it would be more cost efficient and hassle free (does that exist? Haha) if I just get LGT struts/shocks. Couple of questions:

1. what upgraded size rims/tires/offset do LGT wagon owners typically run without rolling or trimming? is what https://www.wheel-size.com/size/subaru/legacy/2009/ is showing accurate?

2. what LGT wagon struts (other than stock) are preferred if I wanted something with less roll, more control (already have whiteline sways on front and back of my car)?

Thanks!

Edited by kaitanium

I think in the wheel and tire forum there is a sticky that may have the info you want.

My 09 Spec B has 225/45-18' I run those on my lowered 05 GT wagon from time to time with no issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There was a thread on this forum about OBXT conversion to LGTW suspension.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I think in the wheel and tire forum there is a sticky that may have the info you want.

My 09 Spec B has 225/45-18' I run those on my lowered 05 GT wagon from time to time with no issues.

forgot about that wheel/tire forum, ill search there

What width is your rim? No issues at full lock in the front or hard bumps?

Here is the swap thread, member Duffman who started it used my LGT Wagon suspension I sold after I switched to Bilstein/STI Pinks:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lgt-wagon-suspension-swapped-into-outback-xt-140548.html

Hope this helps!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

All my wheels are OEM, here's the wagon with the Spec B wheels with snowtires and its 17's.

DSCN8290.thumb.JPG.18887fecfef648035a638326df6300de.JPG

DSCN8288.thumb.JPG.facc74263398e7bea4ffd7e7761c05d6.JPG

DSCN6448.thumb.JPG.5ff242adf900c7f9a9f48ebb333cac63.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

All my wheels are OEM, here's the wagon with the Spec B wheels with snowtires and its 17's.

[ATTACH]276186[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]276187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]276188[/ATTACH]

Nice. The spec b wheels are 18 right? What size tires are on those and how wide are those stock spec b Wheels?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As for shocks, I got a set of stock JDM LGT Rev A Bilsteins from a JDM importer on ebay for $350 shipped. I've since changed the springs a couple times, but when it was on the original springs, it was very nice. Supposedly valved firmer than USDM Spec B Bilsteins, but not as firm as the aftermarket B8/B6's you can get on Tire Rack. I can confirm that they're stiffer than a USDM Spec B setup, just can't confirm compared to B8/B6.

This was that JDM LGT setup with the springs they came with, + 3/4" saggy butt spacer in the rear:

Stock Wheels:

enhance

Enkei TS-9, 18x8.5 +40, 245/45/18 Michelin PS A/S 3+:

enhance

Edited by lil'redwagon

As for shocks, I got a set of stock JDM LGT Rev A Bilsteins from a JDM importer on ebay for $350 shipped. I've since changed the springs a couple times, but when it was on the original springs, it was very nice. Supposedly valved firmer than USDM Spec B Bilsteins, but not as firm as the aftermarket B8/B6's you can get on Tire Rack. I can confirm that they're stiffer than a USDM Spec B setup, just can't confirm compared to B8/B6.

This was that JDM LGT setup with the springs they came with, + 3/4" saggy butt spacer in the rear:

Stock Wheels:

enhance

Enkei TS-9, 18x8.5 +40, 245/45/18 Michelin PS A/S 3+:

enhance

That looks like some pretty tight gaps with the stocks and enkeis. No rub issues there on both setups?

Open question: what do people normally do with spare tires when they get new rims? Match the tire size exactly? Wondering if my spare is 225/55/17 if 225/50/18 on the running wheels will be ok. Seems to be same diameter.

Edited by kaitanium

As long as your spare diameter is the same or pretty close to the diameter of your new wheels and tires you should be good. I'm sure the awd system would have a field day if the diameters were severely mismatched

That looks like some pretty tight gaps with the stocks and enkeis. No rub issues there on both setups?

Open question: what do people normally do with spare tires when they get new rims? Match the tire size exactly? Wondering if my spare is 225/55/17 if 225/50/18 on the running wheels will be ok. Seems to be same diameter.

No issues with the stock tires:

enhance

But I cut the fenders pretty high under the stock Outback flares when I put the Enkeis on so I don't have a reference for those wheels/tires on stock fenders.

No issues with the stock tires:

enhance

But I cut the fenders pretty high under the stock Outback flares when I put the Enkeis on so I don't have a reference for those wheels/tires on stock fenders.

I still can't believe thats LGT low. Some other pictures I'm seeing if others don't have their Outbacks looking that low with a stock LGT setup. No issues with stock wheels that low and no cutting/trimming? Hmmm! That's good news.

In that pic, it was loaded with patio pavers in the back. Normal ride height is as pictured in the previous posts. I was showing this pic to show that even with the car fully loaded with bricks and sitting on the bump stops, there still isn't any rubbing with the stock tires/wheels. With the stock wheel and tires, they wouldn't allow it to leave the factory if there was ANY rubbing anywhere in the suspension travel.

With the stock wheel and tires' date=' they wouldn't allow it to leave the factory if there was ANY rubbing anywhere in the suspension travel.[/quote']

yes but thats if this was a legacy not outback with LGT struts. Or maybe I dont understand this statement. Arent outback tires larger than legacy?

Just to confirm, your first pic https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000061729827/media/43831234238/medium/1523936398/enhance, were fenders rolled/cut/trimmed to have no rub?

Is JDM legacy stock height any different from USDM?

i may ultimately have to stay conservative with a 18x7.5, et45 225/50 (i think toyota CHRs are running this and they look decent). Dont want to be cutting anything to keep some resale value. All my mods so far have been 100% reversible and Id like to keep it that way.

Edited by kaitanium

You're right, Outback tires are slightly taller than Legacy tires. But I kept the Outback bump stops in the rear, so the tire compresses as high in the wheel well as a normal Outback would, matching the stock tire height. (Pictured in the shot fully loaded up.)

Correct, in the photo you referenced, the fenders were still uncut.

I cannot confirm if the JDM LGT is the same height as the USDM LGT stock height. They appear to be pretty close in height, but the spring rates and shock valving are firmer on the JDM parts.

You're right, Outback tires are slightly taller than Legacy tires. But I kept the Outback bump stops in the rear, so the tire compresses as high in the wheel well as a normal Outback would, matching the stock tire height. (Pictured in the shot fully loaded up.)

Correct, in the photo you referenced, the fenders were still uncut.

I cannot confirm if the JDM LGT is the same height as the USDM LGT stock height. They appear to be pretty close in height, but the spring rates and shock valving are firmer on the JDM parts.

Thanks for the info!

Wont that give the car a rough ride and hit the stops earlier if they are the larger ob stops? even with LGT control arms?

So what im reading in this long long thread looks like my original plans of going LGT struts/springs (wagon springs, heard those were stiffer or might do kings in the rear) and 225/50r18 should work out perfectly fine without rub or the need to roll or trim or use spacers.

Ideally i would love to reuse my OB springs but not sure what the ride is like or if the spring needs to be compressed too much to fit into the LGT strut/perch. My OB struts have 80k on them and i rather just change them out but the springs seems like a waste just to toss. I do usually have a car full of family and gear. User dan04103 seemed to have done the kings but i can no longer get a response from him anymore, seems like hes gone.

Does anyone know what the LGT control arm part number is? Want to verify that its 20250AE041.

Was dreaming of lowering the car when i bought it new 10 years ago. Now the inklings of it finally happening is making me excited!

No, it's softer - the longer stops are more progressive. They act as sort of an overload spring. I have LGT bump stops too, and switch them out every now and then. The LGT bump stops are more abrupt, and are more like what you expect of a bump stop. As in, spring travel, spring travel, spring travel, STOP! (with an abrupt stop). With the OB stops, they are more gradual and less harsh. The trade-off is that you don't have as much linearity of the spring rate as the bump stop ramps up the rate at an earlier point, and for longer. But it's a road car, not a racecar. This is also how BMW sets up their stock suspensions.