LegacyGT.com

'99 GT-B tuning 300 - 320bhp?

LauriKiwi

So I am a total noob to tuning and modding.

I probably will not attempt any real projects soon but I would like to ask you guys what is actually a good way to boost a Legacy GT-B to 300 - 320bhp?

I do not wish to swap turbos or stuff. The max I would do is downpipe exhaust, intercooler upgrade and big tune. As I said, I do not know much about tuning and modding but I want to throw the question out there for future reference.

Thanks guys!

Wow, we in the US don't get to wee your model. So there is not much help from here.

You may want to reach out to Dave at https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

He's one of the best Tuners and may be able to help somehow even if its with a name of someone. You can tell him we sent you to him.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey,

Worth jumping in CLUBSUB.org.nz for local/relevant info for your model.

Being a 99, your options are very limited as tuning the stock ECU isn't particularly easy and only one or two tuners in the whole of NZ have the software/hardware required to tune them. Most people with 99/00’s go for a Link ECU when upgrading things but that normally goes along with a single turbo conversion. Setting up the Link to do the TT switchover would require quite a lot of work, if possible at all.

The stock tunes are also very knocky so a good tune really is needed when pushing them.

The 01 (rev D) versions on the other hand are easily tunable as they have a different style ECU. Rev D’s with a better intercooler and free flowing downpipes can safely make 280+whp

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Dang only 1-2 tuners? I knew the older LGTs are hard to tune but oof. Thanks guys!

Also thanks for that link!

The engine is an EJ208D but that likely doesn’t have anything to do with revisions.

Keep in mind I don’t know what I’m doing so that help is quite appreciated.

Edited by LauriKiwi

Dang only 1-2 tuners? I knew the older LGTs are hard to tune but oof. Thanks guys!

Also thanks for that link!

The engine is an EJ208D but that likely doesn’t have anything to do with revisions.

Keep in mind I don’t know what I’m doing so that help is quite appreciated.

Yea they really aren't tuner friendly, with the rev.D’s being such a step up in many ways most tuners have never bothered with the older revisions.

What part of NZ are you in?

There is a plate on the passenger side strut tower which has the info you need. The one you're interested in is the applied model, it'll have BH5 followed by a letter, the letter is the revision. Being a 99 it’ll most likely be B or C

Queenstown (could it get worse for tuning? xD). Already checked the plate. Thanks for the info.

Would it actually be possible to swap a Rev. D ECU? Seems ok in theory.

Edited by LauriKiwi

Shame Andre doesn't do off the street tunes, of all tuners in NZ he’d be probably the best at nutting one of these out.

Na it would be a complete major. The rev D corresponded with the Impreza’s swap from v6 to the new gen v7 so the rev D runs a bunch of next gen parts such as the AFM and injectors, even swapping a dash from an 01 into a 99 is almost impossible.

If I was in your position and wanted to keep a 3rd gen long term i’d consider selling it and grabbing a rev D, very little price difference these days but the modification pathways are considerably more open.

Not much left in Japan, can't import them with the new-ish emissions standards anyway. There should be a heap around really, Christchurch or Dunedin will probably be better places to look.

How many kms does your current one have?

Just had a check on TM and pickings really are quite slim these days aren't they, most people have moved onto 4th gens as the cheap-ish runabouts

Edited by Andy_Mac

Not much left in Japan, can't import them with the new-ish emissions standards anyway. There should be a heap around really, Christchurch or Dunedin will probably be better places to look.

How many kms does your current one have?

Just had a check on TM and pickings really are quite slim these days aren't they, most people have moved onto 4th gens as the cheap-ish runabouts

Does that mean I they could potentially gain value in the future if kept in good condition?

Does that mean I they could potentially gain value in the future if kept in good condition?

Nah not really, still far to common. The only one's that will potentially be worth something is the S401’s but even they're not worth much currently.

We all started there.

Just one of the ’better’ Subaru special edition vehicles handed over to the STI team to give a work over.

Has the 6mt trans, brembo’s, various trim and body upgrades, and a tune that almost completely eliminates the VOD (low boost spot above 4krpm).

One of the local guys was doing a bit of a log of mods to his one.

https://www.tasteslikepetrol.net/cars/legacy-s401-sti/