LegacyGT.com

Fog light upgrade

Hello all,

I have a 2015 Legacy w/o eyesight package and am looking to gain some more performance from my fog lights. My factory ones are junk as one of them has a crack in the lens anyway and I’m going to replace them both. I was curious what has been done to increase lighting performance from these lights. I’m not looking to throw HIDs in there and blind the oncoming drivers to oblivion, just need something that has a wide light the projects further down the road. I often take trips to New Hampshire and Maine so the lighting improvement would be very beneficial on dark winding roads in the middle of the woods! I’ve been looking at projector style fog lights thinking those might be the answer but it seems there really isn’t much out there for the Legacy! Does anyone have any suggestions be it a better bulb or a projector housing? Thanks, folks!

Scooby Fan,

Thanks! I have Morimoto for my HID in my low beams - they’re fantastic. Did you just put LED bulbs into stock housings or did you upgrade to a projector housing as well? Any photos of how the light output looks?

I just bought the entire fog light package and installed them where the OEM fogs go,,,, wiring is plug and play (I have mine wired for independent fog light use)

The Morimotos are much brighter and whiter and have about double the light output....nice clean cut off and much deeper penetration at night....sorry no pics atm.... I'll try for some later and post them up when I get them.

If you want independent fog control here is the link to how it is done....works the same on 6th gen and 5th gen.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-independent-fog-light-mod-223969.html

Thank you for the write up, Scooby Fan. You wouldn’t happen to have a link for the fog lights you bought, would you? I can only find them for the older generation Legacy. Mines a 2015 and I cannot find anything that says it fits my car. Also, will those replace the factory fogs? I have factory ones already but ones broken and they’re super useless...

Sorry....no link that I can think of....there are lots of references to those lights in various threads....also I believe there are a few threads where guys have used the ones that are supposed to be for newer gen Mustangs

Search is your friend ;)

Oops....try this...I got mine from Prolightz and this link is for your gen Legacy I think.

https://www.prolightz.com/subaru/legacy-outback/2015-legacy-outback.html

Okay....not the best pics but this should give you an idea.

OEM fogs with low beam headlights

0QUR3p7.jpg

Low beams with LED fogs

Xd0Zbse.jpg

As you can see the LED fogs lights up all the way across the street and light up the ground level of my neighbors house.

zQ17CKU.jpg

Edited by Scooby Fan

• 8 months later...

Searched the internet and the best price for ea one is about $103. There are after market ones, such as reel electrical that are supposed to be identical to oem. Has anybody purchased any after market ones and what is their opinion? Aftermarket or only the oem ones are good?

Thanks

^^^ Your profile says you have a 2010 Legacy. You might have better luck if you post that in the Gen 5 subforum.

In general, don't expect any fog light to be particularly effective; these days, most fog lights are more cosmetic than functional. With that in mind, the official Subaru accessory kit is likely to be the best integrated choice, guaranteed to fit, and the easiest to install.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

I’m dealing right now with a Subaru dealership that is blaming all electrical issues, i.e., erratic remote start run times and intermittent cruise control switch operation, on my aftermarket LED heads and fogs. They won’t even continue diagnosis until those are switched back to stock.

Now, whether these LED’s are actually the culprit is still a mystery. FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m dealing right now with a Subaru dealership that is blaming all electrical issues, i.e., erratic remote start run times and intermittent cruise control switch operation, on my aftermarket LED heads and fogs. They won’t even continue diagnosis until those are switched back to stock.

Now, whether these LED’s are actually the culprit is still a mystery. FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find another dealer,I have LED all around exterior/interior,aftermarket projectors,LED Bar & fog lights but no electrical issues.

They won’t even continue diagnosis until those are switched back to stock.

That's an entirely reasonable position if you expect the work to be performed under warranty. It's also the written policy of Subaru of America.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
+1 for the Morimoto XB fog lights upgrade! Just installed them on my 2016 Legacy 2.5i Limited w/ eyesight and I really like them. Much more light further down the road and to the sides than the stock lights. Installation was easy, though the replacement lights needed minor modification for installation.

+1 for the Morimoto XB fog lights upgrade! Just installed them on my 2016 Legacy 2.5i Limited w/ eyesight and I really like them. Much more light further down the road and to the sides than the stock lights. Installation was easy, though the replacement lights needed minor modification for installation.

Yup they do,I have the same fogs but I plan on replacing it with DD ssd3 pro fog lights which is 2-3 times brighter but sae legal.