LegacyGT.com

Alternator question

So i dont know last installed the alternator on this car... But someone plz shoot them.

Serieously though, the main terminal on the alternator, the bolt completely stripped...

And the things that go on to the post, at the end of the wires, were clamped down over the insulation, it has now melted and corroded the ef out of everything...

My question is, are the terminals on these alternators replaceable? The alternator itself is fine and woud like to avoid replacing it.

Thanks for the input.

Sure are. Find your local auto electrical supplier, and see what they have, or hit the junk yards. You might want a decent 80w+ soldering iron if you want to solder on connectors from a junk yard. Crimping new connectors is probably the better option.

Sure are. Find your local auto electrical supplier, and see what they have, or hit the junk yards. You might want a decent 80w+ soldering iron if you want to solder on connectors from a junk yard. Crimping new connectors is probably the better option.

Is the process straight forward? I mean i see the terminal goes down into an open cavity in the back of the unit.

And yea im getting new connectors, these old ones are so covered in melted insulation and burnt wire.

Ill be driving to the junk yard tmrw i believe. I was going to do it after i replaced a ball joint, but i might just go early in the morning and spend some time looking around... Maybe ill just find a good looking alternator and keep this one as a spare or whatever idk.

One more question would be am i limited to the ej22 alternators, or did they use the same alternators on the other engines too?

Got a new terminal post... Found a rly clean alternator in tge junk yard for 14$ so i picked that up too(pulled the terminal from a different one). So ill be doing that today along with putting in a fresh harness and connectors.

Thanks for the input

Archived