LegacyGT.com

looking into buying rod knock...

so I lost my subaru about 6 months ago and i've just wanted another one since, I don't want to buy anything too high mileage on the chassis so i've been looking into 100k to 150k cars with blown motor or tyrannys.

I've only built one motor before all the way down to main bearings, rod bearings, and piston rings. but it was n/a and i'm looking into a turbo build. just curious how most people go about replacing bits after rod knock on a turbo car.

I wont deal with the heads i'll have a machine shop deal with them, oil pump from motor with knock will be trashed, oil cooler if there is one trash. But what about the turbo what happens to it after rod knock how do you clean it to get all the metal bits out.

In perticular i'm looking at the early WRX's with the 2.0l, static cams, if the block has knock I would replace with a 22t closed deck.

I guess my main question is what to do about the turbo after knock and what else to replace other than oil pump, oil cooler, and getting the heads completely cleaned up and rebuilt.

Edited by RustyRuu

The easiest thing to do with the turbo is have it rebuilt or buy a new one. The oil passages in the block need to be cleaned out with a pressure washer or a solvent tank. Oil lines cleaned or replaced for avcs or turbo. Read the stickies. The camshaft or journals might be scored enough that you may need new heads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Send the turbo off to JmP6889928, he's the one we recommend to rebuild your turbo.

PM him.

I don't understand why you want a 2.0L your car came with a 2.5L

your going to turbo a car that was didn't come that way in this country. I'm sure you'll need some kind of a piggyback ecu wired into the cars ECU. Do you have someone that can do that ?

Most of us do what I did, buy a new ej257 short block and gasket set for the year car or in your case heads on the 2.5L from a 05-09 GT.

If you use some other engine, and want to DIY, you should have the machine shop inspect the crank shaft and polish it, you'll want new rods and pistons.

Do you have a Tuner ? Ask that person what his thoughts are and buy what you can from him.

I see your in CO. I recommend Dave at https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

Contact him and send him this thread. He's one of the best in the country for these cars and he's close to you.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

thanks max but there might be a little confusion here.

I did have a car that had a 2.5 in it, an ej251 to be exact but after I got hit head on by a drunk driver, It is no longer, he had no insurance or a licence so i got nothing to put towards a subaru i actually want to buy.

Been looking into buying a completely separate subaru now, and have been for six months but its not uncommon around these parts to see a 200k mile subaru for 4k dollars.

after one successful engine rebuild i figured i could do it again if i buy a car that already has a blown engine or transmission but lower miles to keep the initial costs down, and be more reliable since parts would be fairly newer, parts for these cars are super easy to find where i live currently in CO.

I mentioned the 2.0l because thats what comes in the early wrx's and can be replaced with a more robust ej22t short-block with 2.0 heads, and this car had static cams so no avcs to deal with or think about.

I'm not a fan of wrx's, don't like the look of them, but wouldn't mind racing one. I was really getting into rallycross with my legacy but now daily a VW which is not as fun on a RX course. WRX are super common around me with blown motors since people try to "mod" them without a tune, then don't know how to pull a motor and replace it. I missed my opportunity on a legacy recently with a blown turbo, the person there an hour before me swooped it up.

i was just curious about the turbo and other bits to be replaced after rod knock since i've been thinking of buying a car with it.

Edited by RustyRuu

With rod knock, the crank will have to be inspected or replaced as well as the one rod and bearings.

It's a basic rebuild.

I realize you been around here for a while, but yes there is some confusion.

You now have a 2002 Legacy GT and want to replace the engine with a 2.0L and add a turbo, correct ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You now have a 2002 Legacy GT and want to replace the engine with a 2.0L and add a turbo, correct ?

no that car is gone,

I'm looking at buying a car with rod knock and replacing the stock motor, probably not rebuilding it. weather it be an early wrx or legacy gt, I don't care i just want a Subaru again.