LegacyGT.com

2012 legacy air conditioing issue

Hooked up my gauges to high and low ports air conditioning on. High and low read 50 psi like the compressor is not engaing. I replaced the compressor and expansion valve and still the same thing. The compressor does not seem to have a clutch.It just spins all the time.There are 2 plugs on the compressor.One must be to engage the compressor but where does it get its signal from? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You have an ECV ac compressor. Special tools are required to diagnose those compressors. I have not found an alternative method to test them.....yet. 50 psi sounds pretty low depending on outside temp. They generally sit between 90-100 psi when fully charged.

306068991_Screenshot_20190429-221036_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.262b8ebf6da7e203d013a0f0578fcf4b.jpg

With your gauges hooked up, car off, your pressures should be a little shy of 100ps, if full. What do you mean by "this is all it would take"? Your capacity is .94lbs.

Here is a relearn procedure that requires a capable scanner. I haven't come across this particular setup so I dont know what else to tell you. I'm not sure what fuse they are talking about. AC wiring has become a lot more complicated over the past few years and it would take a couple hours trying type it all out. I'd start with making sure you have the correct amount of refrigerant and do that relearn procedure. If it still doesn't work, time to take it in to the dealer or your preferred independent shop.

Edited by 08SpecB_DE

If you figure it out, let me know. The compressor on my 2010 grenaded a few month ago. It's the same variable ac compressor I'm sure. Only has a pulley, no clutch. I replaced it, the ac condenser and the expansion valve. It still won't come on.

I hooked mine up to SSM3 and when I command the ac solenoid or try to run the relearn procedure - it fails and says the compressor is in 'protect mode' I can't find anything in the FSM about 'protect mode' or what triggers it.

No codes present in the AC module

I managed to get 72 PSI into the system by heating the can of Freon with a propane torch and then closing the lowside port. Pressure switch shows 58 MPa and does fluctuate with temperature.

Shows a commanded evap core temperature as well as actual.

It shows zero Freon flow, the compressor just will not engage.

If anybody knows how to override/clear this protect mode, please share

Edited by poconoracing

I did the self diagnostics and after flashing 20 it started flashing 46. Does anyone know what this code is? I jumped the clutch and was able to get the right pressures. The compressor does work when i add the 12 volts to the clutch wires. Edited by camhar25

I did the self diagnostics and after flashing 20 it started flashing 46. Does anyone know what this code is? I jumped the clutch and was able to get the right pressures. The compressor does work when i add the 12 volts to the clutch wires.

From the 2010 Subaru Legacy FSM - Variable valve open or short circuit

MSA5T1006A297789.pdf

Edited by poconoracing

Looks like installing a new compressor requires using the SSM to run a variable compressor break-in drive cycle. Also - it notes that when you install a new compressor, you need to fill the system with refrigerant before starting the vehicle - if the vehicle is restarted without filling the system, it says to replace the compressor!

218451146_compressorinstallation.thumb.JPG.4549accf1e4c4c8576c166a08e75f244.JPG

the SSM is the subaru select monitor - it's the electronic tool the dealers have. I would guess you can get similar functionality with a high end bidirectional scan tool.

I don't know how they did it, but here it is. It has all the dealer functionality. If you want to program a key, you will need the immobilizer code for you car.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XHQ3XY1/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_.yy0CbRVXFR9Z

One thing - you will need a 32 bit windows laptop. Either Windows XP or Windows 7 32bit.

It works great once you get the right operating system