LegacyGT.com

2004 Legacy 4EAT transmission fluid recommendations

Hello my Subaru is pretty sure fourth generation url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjfyO-zuOXhAhUDOSsKHYSxCFwQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKvE4Yf6_Kjw&psig=AOvVaw0AwhLSRlYpFVWjKkvNXioR&ust=1556082282877618 but its a 2004, 4 speed automatic, had a look in 2005 legacy manual it states:

Recommended fluid

Use one of the following types of automatic transmission

fluid.

Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid

IDEMITSU ATF HP (unavailable in my country)

Castrol Transmax J (heard its not recommended anymore)

Pennzoil ATF-J* (unavailable in my country)

* Available only in the USA (except Alaska and Hawaii)

NOTE:

If your vehicle has a four-speed automatic transmission,

you can use Dexron III Type Automatic

Transmission Fluid in addition to the recommended

fluid types listed above.

in 2004 manual it just says: “Dexron III” Type Automatic Transmission Fluid

So was looking and found url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjvxKWZt-XhAhUbX30KHeZGD1gQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.supercheapauto.co.nz%2Fp%2Fcastrol-castrol-auto-transmission-fluid---dex-iii-4-litre%2F309868.html&psig=AOvVaw1bIgu5DlxfeO8RATDv26kt&ust=1556081967124890 castrol dexron iii

available in my country and at my local repco (automotive parts outlet)

Thinking about purchasing this for my transmission fluid change

What do you guys think about this type of ATF 'castrol dexron iii' is it okay can i use any branded ATF that says 'Dexron iii' 'DEX 3' any opinions most welcome thanks.

...What do you guys think about this type of ATF 'castrol dexron iii' is it okay can i use any branded ATF that says 'Dexron iii' 'DEX 3' any opinions most welcome thanks.

I would not use Dexron III trans fluid. Go to the Subaru dealer and have them give you the correct fluid. It should be ATF-HP. It should take a full case of fluid and maybe a bit more for a full three drain and refills to get a decent percentage of the fluid replaced.

Yeah just go with the OEM AFT-HP. It's not that expensive. I run amsoil for the rest but I feel it makes a bit more sense to just stick with OEM in these trans.

Amsoil could be better but since it's designed for any car it could have a slightly different chemical make up.

Then again the OEM fluid could likely be nothing special at all and subaru just buys generic and adds their label.

Thanks for the help guys, yeah i think OEM is a good idea, its gonna be my first choice.

Still a little confused on what the difference is between ATF HP and Dexron 3 whether they're the same or not, else why would they have dexron 3 as a recommended trans fluid.

Could you help me with this question: although it says idemitsu ATF HP in the 2005 manual it only says dexron III in the 2004 manual, mines a 2004, is the OEM idemistu ATF HP still suitable for my 2004 legacy.

apologize for the doubtfulness.

Based on your original post I am going to guess you are in Australia. Research is telling me that 2005 was when they started specing the ATF-HP in the 4EAT. My owners manual (08 Legacy 4EAT) calls for ATF-HP and Dexron only in an emergency. *If* your 04 owners manual calls for Dex 3 then you should be alright using that fluid. The use life of Dex 3 will likely be shorter than the ATF-HP because the ATF-HP is synthetic if I recall correctly and I think the Dex 3 is not synthetic.

http://www.scoobyenthusiast.com/subaru-faq/what-kind-automatic-transmission-fluid-atf-should-i-use-my-subaru/

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/4eat-atf-pre-2006-dextron-iii-subaru-atf-hp-79498/

I just did a service on the 4EAT in my '09 Legacy when I had the engine out. I drained the torque converter while I was at it. I went back with Dexron VI fluid. Got a thousand miles on it since I did it, works great so far.

Edit: Walmart SuperTech brand Dexron VI that is. I think it was about $8/qt. With draining the torque converter and dropping the pan it took just a tad over 7qts to refill it.

Archived