LegacyGT.com

What's this thing? I've got alot of oil on my manifold and this has oil where the wir

Crank position is right below it (the grey plug), that's the oil pressure switch, I can't remember if it has a crush washer or not but its 2 pieces.

A bung that treads into the block and the sensor threads into that, worse comes to worse use RTV, but leggyOBW is right try snugging it up a bit, literally a bit real tiny treads on that sensor.

*edit* after looking a bit more there seems to be less oil/fluid on that side of the power steering bracket and more closer to the power steering pump side of the bracket, maybe just clean it up a bit to confirm its that switch and not PS fluid (power steering fluid in these cars is ATF)

That is the oil pressure switch threaded into the upper oil galley, it's for the warning light. It's under the side of the alternator. The crank position sensor is under the front of the alternator and is held in with a little bolt off to the side.

You should clean the area thoroughly and then re-examine later to see if the oil is really coming from there, or if it is actually a power steering leak slightly to the left and above where you are looking. The PS leak is very common. The pressure switch isn't as likely to leak, but it can. The worst thing about replacing it is having to take apart a bunch of stuff in order to reach it cleanly.

Fair enough on the PS level. Check tight, but as Rusty said, it has tiny threads so don't strip it. I have seen the internals of a pressure switch fail such that it leaks oil through the sensor while the threads are tight. They aren't expensive, so perhaps just put a new one in. The tiny sensor threads may come with thread sealant on them. If they don't you should use a little. The sensor screws into a threaded adapter in the block which uses a crush washer to seal. Make sure that is tight when you are going back together. Also, if you do strip the sensor, you can get that plug from a junkyard so all is not lost.

Archived