LegacyGT.com

1997 legacy, 117000 miles, bought for $3000, received misfire #4 cylinder shortly thereafter, tried switching injectors,new spark plugs and wires, coil.

ran like a dog. confirmed with compression test #4 was bad. Sat for almost a year as I psyched myself up to remove engine and send in the heads for complete head job/valve grind. one exhaust valve #4 was burnt with significant chip removed.

I also removed pistons, cleaned them up, and installed new rings. all oil rings were caked and pretty stuck. new circlips installed as well.

engine was very clean when I first bought it, reinstalled all pulleys and tensioner, original water and oil pump. new timing belt.

rehoned cylinders by hand with 400 grit and scotchbrite. cylinder walls were in pretty excellent shape with slight crosshatch still visible.

used felpro HG,with new head bolts. using peak global coolant with no subaru additive. I found lots of gunk in the cooling jackets around the cylinders which I assumed was the alumaseal type of stuff put in previous.

cleaned up IACV after experiencing rough idle,and hard shifts. now its fairly ok.

the car is running strong and has plenty of power. hoping to drive it for many years to come. tried to upload my pics but getting security token message.

will try on another browser. cheers

Archived