LegacyGT.com

5EAT question - shift point using the paddles

Several members appear to have the 2-3 bang shift and yes......a clear memory 2 is much easier than the sensor repair but is a band aid unfortunately. My car being a prime example of this.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've done several resets in the past, followed the learn procedure to a tee, tried various interpretations of that procedure and, while there were improvements, shift shock never completely went away.

Whatever I did the other day, this transmission is shifting completely different than any other time during my ownership regardless of resets. Every shift, up and down, has been perfect

Still shifting buttery smooth in all modes, with and without paddles. Lost track of mileage since the reset but the car has been doing some driving for sure.

To the folks who are doing numerous Mem2 clears but don't have codes, below are the steps I took on this most recent Mem2 clear.

Not saying this is a fix but you must understand, my transmission has not shifted any better than it is now since my ownership of this car.

**With the vehicle cold (sitting 24hrs or more)

-Clear Mem2

-Clear Mem1

-Start engine and allow to warm a minimum of either the blue light shuts off or 90°F coolant temp is reached

-Select S#

-Go for a drive in D at speeds that allow the trans to shift all the way through to 5th

-When safe to do so, stop the vehicle and repeat the above step at least two more times

-Perform several spirited pulls that require shifts from 5th down to 2nd or 3rd**

Now, at this point I continued to perform the last step while on the test drive and didn't touch the paddles. The car remained in S# for the duration of my test drive. By the time I returned (maybe 30 miles) shifting was normal and has remained that way since.

• 4 weeks later...

Approaching a month later and the trans is still shifting perfectly fine.

I'm due for an oil change so I'll be sure to see what goes on between now and the next oil service. That said, the car has traveled at least a couple thousand miles since my previous post with no signs of the transmission having shift issues.

In addition to that, during spirited runs, I noticed the car is rev-matching on the 5-4 shift which is hasn't done in the past.

Approaching a month later and the trans is still shifting perfectly fine.

I'm due for an oil change so I'll be sure to see what goes on between now and the next oil service. That said, the car has traveled at least a couple thousand miles since my previous post with no signs of the transmission having shift issues.

In addition to that, during spirited runs, I noticed the car is rev-matching on the 5-4 shift which is hasn't done in the past.

I've been reading over all the attempted ways to remedy your shifting issue. I'm happy it seems to have been fixed with your own brand of "What could go wrong" reprogramming the shifting behavior. Haha, I'll keep this in mind if mine ever gets silly and shifts funny. I appreciate the effort you made to let us know how you got figured out.

As you basically stated, there was nothing to lose.

I've had a replacement Turbine 2 sensor and fluid on the shelf for several months now but the fact that there's not been a code has never settled well with me.

Also, the sensor has always reported values that varied or were static based on what the trans was selecting for gears. I figure if the sensor was bad I'd be seeing intermittent 0's or some other odd reporting but none of that was seen.

Ever the skeptic, I started thinking more about the things I haven't done or tried and eventually realized I didn't try performing the TCU reset when the car was cold. After that I began to carve out what made sense to me as far as a "procedure" and gave it a shot.

The gear changes were all slightly harsh for the first few miles but they smoothed out completely.

Mentally I'm now squarely in a gray area as I'm not convinced there's a bad sensor or that it's actually fixed. LOL

If it goes to end of summer I'll say it's good.

This is an interesting thread. My 07gt will always shift aggressively the day after it was driven hard and granny shift a day after sitting in stop-n-go traffic for my 2 hr commute. If driven hard multiple days in a row it will continue to act accordingly. I just assumed this was normal, given it will learn the drivers style, and didn't think much of it. Does the hall effect sensor suffer from metallic debris accumulating on it or the associated reluctor, or does the magnet weaken over time? I didn't take the time to read any of the links in this thread yet, but it looks like you found a happy solution for you without tearing into the trans.

• 1 month later...

A month later....lol

From what I understand, hall effect sensors don't like heat very much and are prone to failure in high temp environments.

Update on the transmission:

All is still well and it's been driven at least 2500 miles since the cold reset a while back.

In all fairness I must report that there is an ever-so-slight 5-4 shift bang but even the "worst" of it is barely noticeable and it's been rare when it does take place. My Tundra does a similar thing on equally rare occasions and it's much more noticeable by comparison.

• 3 months later...

Update: All good still. Car has been driven roughly 6k miles since the "shade tree mechanic" reset back in June.

For the internet folks who find this thread, refer to Post 53 for the steps I took to correct this issue.

• 4 months later...
I tried erasing the memories on my 2007 3.0R 5EAT , and without having driven much since, it seems to me that the gears shift more smoothly and more quickly, especially with the paddles. On the other hand, I always have 3rd gear which slams a little when the gearbox is still cold when going from second to third. Edited by CEVENN