LegacyGT.com

Rebuild Advice, Please

Background

I have a stock 05 LGT Wagon 5MT with 87,000 miles. I've had it since 22k and changed the oil every 3k with 5w30 pennzoil in the cold months and rotella in the hot summer months. It usually consumes 1/2 quart per OCI, maybe a little more if I'm driving it hard.

Recent Issues

Cylinder #2 misfire and compression test of 66 psi led my independent mechanic to the diagnosis of burnt valve. He doesn't have someone to do the job so I'm having a Subaru dealer (friend in the service dept.) do a leak down test next week to confirm burnt valve vs. rings.

Rebuild Questions

My goal for the rebuild is reliability first, power 2nd. I'd love to get an extra 50-75hp but not at the sacrifice of reliability.

After talking with my friend in the service department, it appears to be cheaper to buy new valves and heads than to have the existing ones sent to the machine shop. Is there any reason why this would not be a good idea?

Should I be concerned about keeping the existing block? With my power plans, I don't think it makes sense to go STI short block unless I'm missing something?

If there's any play in the turbo, my plan is to replace it with the same model. Right approach?

I'm also thinking about replacing the clutch while they are in there, should I go with WRX clutch or stick with stock?

Thanks!

I wonder if a custom tune would have prevented the burnt valve, while providing the +50hp.

Yeah, definitely kicking myself for that one. Haven't really been on the forum since I purchased the car. I don't know how I missed this issue.....

Don't waste money on buying heads, the shop should remove your heads, send them to a machine shop to be rebuilt. That is the cheapest way to go and what everyone does. You don't need a head unless one or both of yours are damaged. Any dealership that doesn't know that is not a place you want to service your car.

My buddies machine shop rebuilds Subaru heads every week. Yes that many of them need valves.

Your short block should be fine. For a clutch set up you want a 07-09 Legacy GT Fly wheel and, I like my Spec 2+ clutch. It can make a howl at times letting it out in 1st gear but its has a nice light peddle and holds great. The noise if from the carbon/kevlar surface.

I have a vf52 and custom tune with a 3" catted down pipe on stock fueling. read the click here link in my sig to see how to do it right the first time.

Where in MA are you located ?

Oh yea, the tune will stop the burnt valve issue. My wagon was off he stock tune at 8000 miles. At 154,000 miles when I put the ej257 in and had my heads rebuilt, the machine shop said mine were the first set of these heads they had ever seen that didn't need any valves.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't waste money on buying heads, the shop should remove your heads, send them to a machine shop to be rebuilt. That is the cheapest way to go and what everyone does. You don't need a head unless one or both of yours are damaged. Any dealership that doesn't know that is not a place you want to service your car.

My buddies machine shop rebuilds Subaru heads every week. Yes that many of them need valves.

Your short block should be fine. For a clutch set up you want a 07-09 Legacy GT Fly wheel and, I like my Spec 2+ clutch. It can make a howl at times letting it out in 1st gear but its has a nice light peddle and holds great. The noise if from the carbon/kevlar surface.

I have a vf52 and custom tune with a 3" catted down pipe on stock fueling. read the click here link in my sig to see how to do it right the first time.

Where in MA are you located ?

Great info - much appreciated!

What is a fair price for having the heads machined?

I'm in Medfield, MA (20 minutes south of Framingham/Natick area). I don't mind driving a bit to get the job done by someone who really knows what they're doing. I also am ok without the car for a while.

My buddies machine shop is http://www.eastwoodsautomachine.com/

not sure you want to drive that far but another member did drive from NY to have them do his heads. The shop is in an old mill bldg, next to a river. Not much to look at but they are one of the best shops around. If you contact them, tell them Byron sent you. The yellow civic on their Import page was mine and my son's back before it became a race car.

If you have time Mark loves to show you around the shop. Lots of interesting engines go through that shop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived