LegacyGT.com

Grinding noise coming from front passenger wheel well

I'll try to be as specific as possible because this thing is notoriously hard to catch on video. I've got a 2017 Limited Legacy with approx. 18000 miles on it. Recently, I've been driving mostly highway and I've noticed that occasionally, above 65 mph, there is a sound that seems like something is grinding/whirring. During these times there is a very slight shaking in the steering wheel. It is very muffled but noticeable, but the car tracks straight when it is happening if I let go of the wheel. I don't notice it pulling in anyone direction.

Sometimes it feels like the wheel is wheel is loose and might come off, but the lug nuts are screwed on tightly.

Any ideas on what it might be?

it feels like the wheel is loose how - when you lift the car, the wheel feels loose when you grab it on either side or top and bottom and try to rock it? or is that more of a sensation when driving? If it's the former, your wheel bearing might be shot, or maybe a ball joint...

If you inspect the front wheel, can you see if maybe a wheel weight fell off or something? that would make it slightly out of balance which could explain vibration.

I'll try to be as specific as possible because this thing is notoriously hard to catch on video. I've got a 2017 Limited Legacy with approx. 18000 miles on it. Recently, I've been driving mostly highway and I've noticed that occasionally, above 65 mph, there is a sound that seems like something is grinding/whirring. During these times there is a very slight shaking in the steering wheel. It is very muffled but noticeable, but the car tracks straight when it is happening if I let go of the wheel. I don't notice it pulling in anyone direction.

Sometimes it feels like the wheel is wheel is loose and might come off, but the lug nuts are screwed on tightly.

Any ideas on what it might be?

I'd say wheel bearing, a common Subaru ailment, and presumably it's under warranty so take it in.

Check your nuts.

My wife had someone loosen all of the lug nuts on one wheel by a very small amount a while back. She didn't notice anything until she was on a main road driving faster, but was smart enough to notice something was wrong and then pull over.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

So I took it into the dealer today, and they couldn't find any issues. Had them do the 18k service, changed oil and filter, rotated the tires and test drove it. No vibration or noise occurred. I'll check back on Monday once I'm back on the highway and update you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
So the tech said they couldn't find any play in the wheel and suspension components. No damaged or broken parts either. The noise still happens, but recently on my drives, I've noticed in tends to happen on particular sections of my drive. I'm thinking that the way the asphalt was laid down might be causing some kind of feedback vibration in the wheel that makes it seem like the grinding noise. It can't be a coincidence that the sound occurs on the same stretch of road everytime.

So the tech said they couldn't find any play in the wheel and suspension components. No damaged or broken parts either. The noise still happens, but recently on my drives, I've noticed in tends to happen on particular sections of my drive. I'm thinking that the way the asphalt was laid down might be causing some kind of feedback vibration in the wheel that makes it seem like the grinding noise. It can't be a coincidence that the sound occurs on the same stretch of road everytime.

Grinding or rattle? You're aware of the TSB for the steering gear spring, correct? For rattles in the front left area? Symptoms are pretty well described. But nothing in that says "grinding."

Very possible. While driving over to visit family in MA, you can definitely tell the transition to their noisy freaking roads!

While driving my old STI with summer tires, the road noise got so bad that I partially inserted ear plugs to prevent giving myself a headache during long drives.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Archived