LegacyGT.com

2019 Legacy 3.6R possible purchase

BritishBoxer

Hi all

Due to a recent opening of a Subaru dealership in Guelph Ontario and a recent visit to the Toronto Autoshow, a Subaru has landed on the short list.

We tested a 2019 Toyota Avalon and really loved the Cognac interior and the luxurious features, but the price was in the upper budget, (mid 50's+ OTD). At the autoshow I happened to stop by the Subaru area and was told this was the last year for the 3.6L six; so I checked out a 2019 and was impressed by the quality of the interior and amenities for the price.

This will be the wife's car and we test drove it today. The wife was impressed at the build quality and ride. We both had a hard time justifying the $15,000.00 more we'd have to spend to get the Avalon.

I know Subarus are for the most part are pretty reliable machines, but just like Honda and Toyota, there have been historic problems, (head gaskets, turbo's, high oil consumption).

Googling possible problems, I came across a warranty extention for CVT's up to 2015 model year to 10 years 100,000miles. Have the problems with CVT's been properly addressed and fixed, or will I run into this down the road? Would it be advisable to run a remote transmission filter to help lengthen the longevity of the transmission, as it seems the transmission has to be pulled completely apart to replace one of the two filters inside?

What other possible problems could I face with this vehicle in the future, (head gaskets, timing chain, oil consumption) and what pre-maintenance would you do to mitigate these problems?

Cheers

Tony

You will not have any issues with the 3.6R, it’s a proven engine and the car runs very smooth.

The CVT with having two of them I haven’t had any issues.

I have a 2010 2.5i and a 2018 3.6R and no issues.

If there was a major issues with the Subaru cvt you would have heard it by now.

Obviously they are sticking with the cvt as you can see it in the ascent, new forester and the new Subaru Legacy so I think you are going to be fine.

If cvt was a huge liability for Subaru then they would not brought the cvt to the next generation of cars.

People worry too much about the cvt, they should worry about the DI option on the 7th gen cars. You will start having issues with Di before you run into issues with the cvt.

You will not have any issues with the 3.6R, it’s a proven engine and the car runs very smooth.

People worry too much about the cvt, they should worry about the DI option on the 7th gen cars. You will start having issues with Di before you run into issues with the cvt.

Very glad to get your reply.

I do love the proven simplicity of Subaru's; just replacing the headlights doesn't require taking off the whole front end, like on my Altima or VW's. The bulbs are there and easy to get at; and colour coding things that you as an owner are to check, by making them yellow.......that kind of thinking makes it easier for my wife to know what's what, and where to check for what.:lol:

You are correct about DI fuel systems, especially with turbo's, and crank case ventilation residues ending up on intake valves, which can no longer be washed off by fuel. Early DI Ford Ecoboosts need oil catch cans to get rid of the oil residuals in the PVC system, or oil coked intake valves are the result.

I'm not a big turbo fan, unless attached to my Cummins 6BT's or Isuzu 6BD1 diesel motors.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Tony

PS looking at getting the very same Magnetite Grey with the light grey interior.

Glad to hear, get one of the last great engines Subaru made before they start downsizing!

The Subaru cvt is pretty much the best in the market, they have refined it, if it was a liability they would have never brought it to their performance car such as the wrx.

One thing I noticed on the 7th gen Subaru Legacy is that they are going to replace the cvt fluid with a lower viscosity oil which I believe will help reduce horsepower loss by 32%.

I am wondering if we could do the same with out 6th gen legacy’s to improve performance.

The 3.6r is a good reliable engine, but with the 2020 legacy comming with the 2.4L turbo, I'd hold out till the fall to get that instead.

I’m sure the 2.4 engine will be a very good engine, plus the added power and low torque power. With the turbo the mpg will be improved greatly and the interior looks fantastic with the new infotainment system.

The only issue I have is the DI route, it’s gonna become and issue if you keep your vehicles for a while.

I’m not a big fan of the front end, the headlights look a bit smaller than the outgoing gen, almost looks like they adopting the Impreza look in the front and the rear is like a Toyota Lexus style, I dig the new tail light, but again not a fan of the Impreza look rear end.

The current gen legacy will age better over the new gen imo.

Archived