LegacyGT.com

Sheet metal too thin????

hotengdude

Do you guys thing the sheet metal on the Legacy is way too thin???

I have an 05. My driveway is partly covered by a large Oak tree. Every year about this time it starts dropping acorns. A few of them always hit the car. I never pay much attention to it because it does not really hurt the car or anything. Well, this Legacy is not like that at all. I just noticed the other day and Damn, it looks like hail damage!!!!! I almost fell over. I have been at this house for a while and these acorns have never damaged any other of my cars. Honda S2000 or Toyota Celica. That tells me that it is the Legacy. I just can't for the life of me believe that a 30 thousand car is going to be dented by an acorn.

Have any of you experienced anything that would make you think that the sheet metal was too thin? This should be a recall!!!!!!!!!!

It's actually fairly common knowledge that Subarus have thin sheet metal. It's been an issue for a long time. They can't do a recall on sheet metal anyway. Cars aren't typically designed to withstand dents abd the fact that the sheet metal is thin enough to dent easily isn't something that Subaru is required to fix by law.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Hey,

Yes, i am just ranting about a recall. I know they can't really recall sheet metal. I am just surprised that it is so much thinner than other cars. I have parked 4 other cars in the exact same spot as this one over the years and never an acorn dent. Cars 1/2 the price of the Legacy did not dent.

I guess I am just whining but I do think this would keep me from getting another Sub. It just seems unacceptable for a car at that price.

they went all out cutting cost on metal, paint, floor covering, trunk,sound insulation (or lack thereof)

lowest for this class/price...shame on subaru...wish the subaru drivetrain was mated to a TSX body/options...perfect car..no doubt

Actually, I'd imagine cheaper cars would dent less (e.g. Kia's) and more expensive sporty cars would dent more (e.g. Porsche). You need thin metal or aluminum to save weight where it's not contributing to chassis stiffness.

So it's not all about cost-cutting.

But it would be nice if Subaru emphasized that more care should be taken because of the thin panels. Seems like the doors are almost self-denting. I'm afraid of closing the hood too. :)

I know it is so easy to dent the thing that I wonder if I should even have it fixed now or just wait until I get ready to sell it. I am sure I will run into a bug or something between now and then and cause another dent. I wonder if the paintless dent removal will work and how much it will be. I will have to check dent wizzard.

It's actually fairly common knowledge that Subarus have thin sheet metal. It's been an issue for a long time.

^ +1

It's very thin. Don't let ANYBODY lean on the car. Even kids. Especially kids. :lol:

And if you're really bothered with the dents... make it a yearly thing to call up the dent wizard and have them do all your dents in one go.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

talk about dents. my car parked on the street for one night and next morning came out and saw someone shot my car with paintball gun. My sweet baby was covered up in white paint drips and leave a big fat, about 1.5inches wide dent on my driver side door. Luckily i paid a local dent wizard and pulled it out for 35 bucks.

But i think Legacy has thicker sheet metal than WRXs. Sadly i was involved in an accient right when my car just reached 4000 miles. I hit head on an 96 Explorer when i was going 50 and she was making a left turn. I suffered damaged in the front end, but i dealed a hella damage on that Explorer side fenders, doors, and even the tire axel was broken! But my baby only suffered little dmg, bumper was a bit falling, a little crack on my headlight, grille was pushed back, and hood was dented. I would say Legacy is pretty tough in my view. ~.^v

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

yeah really thin sheet metal is an issue with the subbies. As to the weight reduction aspect of it, they could get some decent sheet metal if they would put in a twin turbo 6 cylinder. Right, by the time that comes out in the US my grandkids will be partying with Judy Jetson.

-T

Archived