LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket radiator

Hello everyone. I'm having a hell of a time finding a good aftermarket radiator for my '99 Legacy L wagon. I don't want a cheapo, but I also don't want to drop the over $300 the dealer is selling one for.. I can't seem to find a Mishimoto or Koyo (which were both suggested on another thread)for 95-99 legacy 2.2s. Any suggestions on a good aftermarket rad? And do the 2.5s take the same radiator? Thanks!

Look on RHDJapan or nengun, they have a lot for Subaru radiators. If you really only want to spend 300ish though you might as well just get the OEM replacement. You don't really need a racing spec radiator unless you're going to keep the car at 7k RPM for a crazy amount of time.

In fact I actually have a brand new never-installed OEM Subaru radiator for the 2nd gen Legacy that I'll sell you for the right price. I didn't end up needing it, the one I got from the junkyard works fine. Pretty sure the 2.2 and the 2.5 use the same radiator. The inlet and outlet are on the side. Some of the newer ones the upper hose is in the middle of the radiator.

Just going to leave this here:

https://www.nengun.com/subaru/legacy-touring-wagon-bg5/cooling

There are lots of direct-fit racing spec radiators for the BG/BK Legacy. But again you really don't need it unless you're actually going to be racing the car, or you just want to be able to show it off to your friends. The stock radiator does a fine job of cooling the engine. If you start to have overheating issues when you're really hammering on the car, then maybe it's time to think about a racing spec radiator. In the meantime,there are so many other things you could put that money toward that would actually give you a performance boost.

• 2 weeks later...
In fact I actually have a brand new never-installed OEM Subaru radiator for the 2nd gen Legacy that I'll sell you for the right price. I didn't end up needing it, the one I got from the junkyard works fine. Pretty sure the 2.2 and the 2.5 use the same radiator. The inlet and outlet are on the side. Some of the newer ones the upper hose is in the middle of the radiator.
I am in the market for a replacement radiator 2 let me know I will put in an offer if the other dude doesn't want it Rknrol3113@gmail.com

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Hello everyone. I'm having a hell of a time finding a good aftermarket radiator for my '99 Legacy L wagon. I don't want a cheapo, but I also don't want to drop the over $300 the dealer is selling one for.. I can't seem to find a Mishimoto or Koyo (which were both suggested on another thread)for 95-99 legacy 2.2s. Any suggestions on a good aftermarket rad? And do the 2.5s take the same radiator? Thanks!
1-800 Radiator also readyrad.com

I bought this "two row equivalent" radiator from RockAuto for my '99 L 30th Aniv. This radiator is EASILY twice as thick as the OEM radiator. Although it still has plastic end tanks, it functions extremely well. I often notice my temps will drop down to cold when on the interstate on a cold night.

This is the product in question.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3759483&cc=1357354&jsn=357

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1999,legacy,2.2l+h4,1357354,cooling+system,radiator,2172

Thanks for the info! Feel free to sell your rad to the guy interested below. I haven't yet pinpointed for sure that my issue is the radiator and I don't want to waste my time or money replacing things that don't truly need replacing. I have a feeling that I won't know what's going on until the weather warms up. I do really appreciate your help though :)

I am in the market for a replacement radiator 2 let me know I will put in an offer if the other dude doesn't want it Rknrol3113@gmail.com

Go for it!! I'm not ready to buy one yet, as I'm not fully sure my issue is the rad. I suspect it might be, but I'll have a better idea when the weather warms up.

I bought this "two row equivalent" radiator from RockAuto for my '99 L 30th Aniv. This radiator is EASILY twice as thick as the OEM radiator. Although it still has plastic end tanks, it functions extremely well. I often notice my temps will drop down to cold when on the interstate on a cold night.

This is the product in question.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3759483&cc=1357354&jsn=357

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1999,legacy,2.2l+h4,1357354,cooling+system,radiator,2172

Did you have any issues getting this radiator to fit? If not, I will definitely consider this radiator if and when I can conform that my rad is causing the issue I'm dealing with. Thanks for your input!

Hey, I'm on mobile so I can't quote.

I'm going to hang onto the radiator for now, just because I'm not sure how long this junkyard radiator is going to last. Like the OP, I'm going to wait until the weather warms back up before I try to figure out what's going on with the cooling system.

Try subarusource.com, they have all OEM parts for a fraction of the dealership price.

What is the benefit of a double-wide radiator? Cooler operating temps? But isn't the engine designed to operate at a specific temperature, to keep the oil at the right viscosity, so the engine doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same level of output?

It's so cold right now that if I didn't care about rusting out this block I could probably get away with not even running a radiator.

Archived