LegacyGT.com

2020 Legacy Sedan is making its approach

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I understand your disappointment, I think your experience with your 2016 Legacy was atypical.

Well, on quality... I have stories. I understand that different MY have different issues.

A 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i with ~94K on the clock. Starter (that horrible screech that would not go away), 2 engine mounts, oil in spark plug tubes / plug seals. Failed trunk struts (about to have to replace for the 2nd time). Reflash of CVT to stop car from dying at stop signs when AC is running. Failed timing belt tensioner (was making noise but I was thinking to replace timing belt a little early so OK). Failed drive belt tensioner (was noisy and visibly vibrating a lot). Failed passenger outer tie rod. One day my wife enters the car and passenger side A pillar trim is on the floor (failed clips). Latest thing is failing driver side air mix door actuator; dealer says $1450 to fix as you need to take the dash out to get to heater core (still figuring that one out).

Oh yeah, also - there is something else going on with the transmission. When the car is in drive (but stopped), the AC is running and I turn the wheel just slightly so power steering pump kicks in, there is chatter somewhere deep inside, I think the transmission area, and the car wants to die.

Several LEDs in the OEM spoiler died.

I will never buy another.

Edited by bigboy292000

• 1 month later...
With the resale values of our cars, (as well as other sedans), you'll likely get a smokin' deal on a 1-2 year old one.

That's mostly my plan, AFTER the first couple of years get the bugs worked out. So, I'll be looking for a '22 LXT in, say, '25.

Cobb should be on Ver. 3.X of their OTS tune by then, too! :lol:

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

While I understand your disappointment, I think your experience with your 2016 Legacy was atypical.

that pretty much seems to be the response to anyone whom brings up Subaru's recent quality issues.... given my experience i would not call his issues atypical...

Well, on quality... I have stories. I understand that different MY have different issues.

A 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i with ~94K on the clock. Starter (that horrible screech that would not go away), 2 engine mounts, oil in spark plug tubes / plug seals. Failed trunk struts (about to have to replace for the 2nd time). Reflash of CVT to stop car from dying at stop signs when AC is running. Failed timing belt tensioner (was making noise but I was thinking to replace timing belt a little early so OK). Failed drive belt tensioner (was noisy and visibly vibrating a lot). Failed passenger outer tie rod. One day my wife enters the car and passenger side A pillar trim is on the floor (failed clips). Latest thing is failing driver side air mix door actuator; dealer says $1450 to fix as you need to take the dash out to get to heater core (still figuring that one out).

Oh yeah, also - there is something else going on with the transmission. When the car is in drive (but stopped), the AC is running and I turn the wheel just slightly so power steering pump kicks in, there is chatter somewhere deep inside, I think the transmission area, and the car wants to die.

Several LEDs in the OEM spoiler died.

I will never buy another.

2014 here, lets see what has been replaced with 62K on the clock

1. M.A.F. sensor

2. Front o2

3. Left front caliper as the top pin rotated in the bore but would lot slide in and out... had to do a front brake job...

4. CVT because the front differential cracked when Subaru did the differential oil change

5. Thermostat

6. Intake gaskets

co worker has a 2013 and by 80K his CVT had to be replaced due to leaks and now at 98K he had to replace a catalytic converter...

Wife's 2003 Subaru legacy. Engine resealed and a rear view mirror, that's it in 140K

just don't take my word for it, take theirs (Subaru)

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/05/subaru-struggles-annual-profits-effectively-halved-due-to-quality-control-issues/

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

Are people who are talking about these service intervals not wrenching on there own cars? I mean plugs and other things can be done in a parking lot or at a buddies house. These cars are not hard to work on. the turbo one's just take longer lol.

BTW any car is going to cost if you take it in to a stealership or place to get work done. DIY and you will save money.

Are people who are talking about these service intervals not wrenching on there own cars? I mean plugs and other things can be done in a parking lot or at a buddies house. These cars are not hard to work on. the turbo one's just take longer lol.

BTW any car is going to cost if you take it in to a stealership or place to get work done. DIY and you will save money.

You have a much better leg to stand on if you can prove that service was performed as expected by Subaru. All of my issues outside of front caliper were taken care of under warranty but the hassle of going to and from the dealer and the 8+ weeks without my car (they did provide loaners) within the 3.5 years that I have owned this car and the 42K driven by me seems to be a bit excessive for time at the dealer... once the car is out of warranty, i do my own work unless it is beyond the scope of what i can do.

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

I've owned my subaru legacy 2013 since it was new, and haven't gone to the dealership once.

I do my own oil changes, brake pads, and washer fluid, and maybe cooland fluid once, and that's all I have done to the car in about 5 years. I drive it pretty normally, and some times spiritedly.

There's zero problems what so ever.

I'm not sure how you guys are getting swindled with all the issues.

I also live in Toronto where there is salt 6 months of the year on the roads.

You were taken advantage of by the dealer, most likely... :rolleyes:

True, but with my health and at my age I have neither the time nor inclination to do the maintenance work myself. Not everyone on this forum is a wrench monkey.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wifey decided on a legacy. We considered a 19', because leftover season. But dang, they got me at all new, the 2.4 DI turbo and fancy interior. Not much more dollars and seemingly a car I will dig that much longer. I'm chasing a quote and more insight on delivery timing.

Don't worry, this means my 05 GT will get a 6speed and more turbo :)

Wifey decided on a legacy. We considered a 19', because leftover season. But dang, they got me at all new, the 2.4 DI turbo and fancy interior. Not much more dollars and seemingly a car I will dig that much longer. I'm chasing a quote and more insight on delivery timing.

Don't worry, this means my 05 GT will get a 6speed and more turbo :)

Were you able to test drive the 2019 and 2020 for comparison?