LegacyGT.com

Used Legacy buying help

rlb4

I'm looking to buy a used Legacy for my college son. Mostly interested in the 2010+ model, non-turbos. How are the higher mileage cars, 120-150k mi+? Are these cars pretty reliable? Any known problems? What should I look for/get checked or ask about before buying? Sorry so many questions. Thanks in advance.

I had a 2012 2.5i 6MT and was looking at buying 2.5i Outback last year before settling on a 2009 2.5i. IMO, they seem to be reliable. If your looking for a 2.5i CVT, I would probably look for 2011 up because some 2010 CVT had some issue with the torque converter not unlocking when coming to stop and stalling the engine. Subaru does have an extended warranty on the CVT but it no longer cover the high mileage examples (initially it was 1 year unlimited miles) I would feel comfortable with a 2010 with warranty CVT.

The nice thing about the 2010 up 2.5i is they have MLS headgaskets which don't leak like the prior generation head gaskets.

3.6R 5EAT seem to be pretty reliable as well.

At that mileage, the original struts are worn out, so you would want to either see replacements or factor in replacements. If your not familiar with AWD vehicle, make sure the tire tread depth is matching front and rear. 2 new tires is bad thing can cause AWD issues.

Thanks. So basically maintenance wise, every 105k mi (timing belt, water pump and assoc items) and every 60k mi (spark plugs)? How big of a problem is the 2010 CVT issue? Should it be a deal breaker for 2010 models, even if everything else looks good? Price is a factor so that is why I was looking more at the 2010 models. I thought I read that all the 2013+ models use a timing chain which does not need to be replaced? So would a 2010 model with 200k mi not be a good car to get? What if that car had all of the needed maintenance and was in good shape? My son will only be putting 5-8k mi/yr., maybe less.

Thanks. So basically maintenance wise, every 105k mi (timing belt, water pump and assoc items) and every 60k mi (spark plugs)? How big of a problem is the 2010 CVT issue? Should it be a deal breaker for 2010 models, even if everything else looks good? Price is a factor so that is why I was looking more at the 2010 models. I thought I read that all the 2013+ models use a timing chain which does not need to be replaced? So would a 2010 model with 200k mi not be a good car to get? What if that car had all of the needed maintenance and was in good shape? My son will only be putting 5-8k mi/yr., maybe less.

Their is an inherent risk in buying any 200k mile car. I don't know what the failure rate is on the TC. A replacement TC is probably in the $2k range, a new CVT exceed the used car price of the vehicle. Someone replace CVT valve body recently and it was $1500. I imagine a bunch of the problematic CVT were covered under warranty, so there are less risky to buy a used than it was in the past. (A few people bought used ones from the dealer with the existing issue) I can't make that decision for you. I think the rest of the car seems to be robust. Head gaskets are much less problematic than the past, I have yet to see one complaint of leaking head gaskets like the prior 2005-2009. (My 2009 OB 2.5i had its headgasket replaced at 111k miles)

I personally would either buy a 2010 6MT or trying to find 2011 up, but I tend to spend a little more money up front to reduce risks to begin with.

Only looking at automatic trans. I guess I should look for a model with less than 100k mi since the extended warranty is good to that? Is that extended warranty transferable if the car is bought used? 2010-2012 seems like a safer bet, less costly potential fix, unless the 2013/2014 has a documented repair for its engine problem?

Didn't the 2013/14 FB engines have a major oil consumption problem?

yes they did but 10/100K warranty will make that problem evident before the warranty isup. SOA does not offer warranty on head gaskets and the chances of goodwill are very small at this point due to age of said cars.

Also 15+ are the best choices as Subaru significantly improved the crash worthiness of the cars...going from acceptable to good in frontal overlap

Only looking at automatic trans. I guess I should look for a model with less than 100k mi since the extended warranty is good to that? Is that extended warranty transferable if the car is bought used? 2010-2012 seems like a safer bet, less costly potential fix, unless the 2013/2014 has a documented repair for its engine problem?

I personally think the 5th gen Legacys are good used car values. (One of my friends is looking to buy one for his 16 year daughter as well.) I think the warranty is transferable, but look it up. If you Google it, you should be find the official letter from Subaru. (Its on this forum somewhere as well) You could buy sub-100k 2010, but remember that 2010 also start falling out of the 10 year warranty period starting this summer.

Get the new FB motor, no timing belts and no HG issues. Keep an eye on the oil consumption issues. If you can swing it the newer ones with the updated CVT are also more desirable.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971)

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived