LegacyGT.com

Oil Catch can

What is everyone's opinions on these?

I've read that GDI engines should use one. I believe our engines are GDI engines.

I want the car to last as long as possible and have the same performance for as long possible too

No, neither the 2.5 nor the 3.6 are direct injection engines, they are both port injected traditional engines. Please leave it alone.

Although the next generation of Legacy and Outback’s are most likely to get the 2.5 engine from the 2019 Forester which has GDI.

What is everyone's opinions on these?

I've read that GDI engines should use one. I believe our engines are GDI engines.

I want the car to last as long as possible and have the same performance for as long possible too

As mehmed_ii correctly pointed out, the FB25 is not a GDI engine in the Legacy. That said, the effectiveness of oil catch cans is limited based on the tests I've seen. They work better on some engines than others as well. The best evidence I've seen suggests changing your oil more often and using top tier gas are the best ways to combat intake valve carbon build-up, and neither of those will entirely prevent it, just delay the effects. The only way to prevent it is to somehow clean the intake valves routinely. Toyota and others do this by using both Direct and Port FI in their engine designs. Not sure why everyone doesn't do this TBH.

As mehmed_ii correctly pointed out, the FB25 is not a GDI engine in the Legacy. That said, the effectiveness of oil catch cans is limited based on the tests I've seen. They work better on some engines than others as well. The best evidence I've seen suggests changing your oil more often and using top tier gas are the best ways to combat intake valve carbon build-up, and neither of those will entirely prevent it, just delay the effects. The only way to prevent it is to somehow clean the intake valves routinely. Toyota and others do this by using both Direct and Port FI in their engine designs. Not sure why everyone doesn't do this TBH.

The main reasons for this are somethings that I do not agree with. Some engineers think that more injectors (twice as much) means more moving part, aka more things that can break. VTEC had the same concerns at first due to their extra moving parts, than they proved to be one of the most reliable engines out there. Plus I think having to walnut blast your direct injected car every 60k makes your car far less reliable than a dual injected car.

-edit: Oh and higher manufacturing costs plus higher maintanence cost, which again, I disagree with since Toyota can do it on their cheaper cars.

Archived